Brock Lesner signs with the Vikings! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Brock Lesner signs with the Vikings!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm not so sure its a publicity stunt. The guy is an amazing athelete and has everything football scouts drool over. Size, strength, athleticisim, and even speed (he ran a 4.65 40). There are plenty of low knowledge players taken simply because of their size in the draft every year, he has as much if not more upside than most of them. I wish him the best of luck, one less pro-wrestler makes the world a better place. :-D

It takes more than athletic ability to do well in football.

There is a reason that players don't go from HS to the NFL - it takes tons of practice - that's all these guys do is practice. He will be a failure if he does not have technique and the fundamentals.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:23 pm

if i was the quarterback i would pray that my offensive lineman block him or else im running out of bounds
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:It takes more than athletic ability to do well in football.

There is a reason that players don't go from HS to the NFL - it takes tons of practice - that's all these guys do is practice. He will be a failure if he does not have technique and the fundamentals.

I tend to disagree slighty. To be a great football player it takes more than just athletic ability, but to simply do well playing a non-skill* position there are plenty of players who got by on simply physical size/ability. Jerry Ball, William Perry, Gilbert Brown. Guys with bodies that appear to be built for football have done well without having the greatest technique in the world, and I would contend none of them had the athleticism of Lesner.

Whether he is a star or not will depend greatly on how fast he picks up on nuiances of playing the position, but I don't think it is a publicity stunt. At least anymore than an NBA team drafting a 7'2" player who has played a year of high school ball is a stunt. He has everything physical a coach wants in a player, he might be worth the risk to try and teach the rest.

*obAside: there is skill required to play any football position, just the depth of technique needed is very different. He won't need to know how to cover WR or run routes, only destroy people in his way to the QB.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:01 pm

Tavish wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:It takes more than athletic ability to do well in football.

I tend to disagree slighty. To be a great football player it takes more than just athletic ability, but to simply do well playing a non-skill* position there are plenty of players who got by on simply physical size/ability. Jerry Ball, William Perry, Gilbert Brown. Guys with bodies that appear to be built for football have done well without having the greatest technique in the world, and I would contend none of them had the athleticism of Lesner.

Whether he is a star or not will depend greatly on how fast he picks up on nuiances of playing the position, but I don't think it is a publicity stunt. At least anymore than an NBA team drafting a 7'2" player who has played a year of high school ball is a stunt. He has everything physical a coach wants in a player, he might be worth the risk to try and teach the rest.

*obAside: there is skill required to play any football position, just the depth of technique needed is very different. He won't need to know how to cover WR or run routes, only destroy people in his way to the QB.

The basketball reference is a great one. There are tons of 7 footers who don't make it (I know, I'm in Toronto and we have drafted every 7 foot High Schooler available and they have been embarrassing !+) ). The reason that they are drafted out of high school is that they have potential (remember - you can't teach height) but need the training - a lot don't make it.

As for Lesnar - no player only rushes the QB. They have to know how to get around the O-men, how to tackle, how to stop the run, what to defend a screen, etc. Defenders have a thick playbook as well you know. There is a reason that only one NFL team even gave him a work out, 27 is pretty old for a football player to be learning the basics.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:22 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:As for Lesnar - no player only rushes the QB. They have to know how to get around the O-men, how to tackle, how to stop the run, what to defend a screen, etc.

He would make a great addition to my Chiefs then. We don't defend the screen, don't tackle, and don't stop the run. :-D

I'm really not trying to debate whether or not he will succeed, rookies are always such a crapshoot in any sport, football being no different. I just don't see it as a publicity stunt, at least from the NFL team perspective. I don't know much about Lesner as a person (I quit following wrestling a long time ago. George "the Animal" Steele, Coco B. Ware, Ricky "the Dragon" Steamboat ahhh the good old days) so it might be a stunt on his side. He said he wanted to play for his hometown Vikings, but there were several teams that expressed interest in seeing him workout.

I hope he does well, I'm guessing an illegal pilediver would be a 15 yard penalty. ;-D

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby irishdude103 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:06 pm

OMG
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby irishdude103 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:06 pm

Why the Vikings???
Last edited by irishdude103 on Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 1)

Postby irishdude103 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:07 pm

OMG
irishdude103
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero