Santana is making some of y'all look mighty dumb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Santana is making some of y'all look mighty dumb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby thetongueofire » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:26 am

im both a Santana and Sheets supporter. ;-D

dont worry, Sheets is notb suddenly gonna become mediocre again. ;-D

and yeah.. i guess it is kinda unreal to think about Santana on the WW...
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jumpman8288 » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:28 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Ender wrote:Yeah I must say about a month ago I tried pretty hardcore to trade for santana to no avail. Its pretty shocking that he was on WW for any length of time in your league.

Only less than a week but I just wanted 1 more start. :-/

Ouch !+)
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AKhomebrewer » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:47 pm

Ender wrote:Santana has studly stretches like this before, he just follows them up with a mediocre month.

:-? :-? :-?

When has this happened?
Two years ago (his first full season in the bigs) he was dominant in a long relief role and effective in a few spot starts.
Last year he was dominant in long relief and then dominant as a starter in the second half.
Following offseason elbow surgery he struggled out of the gate this spring with location and stamina, both of which have been corrected.
Beware the posters who claim his last two months are a nice little streak from an inconsistent pitcher. Perhaps they were given faulty intelligence.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby crip » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:47 pm

Zito Is God has disappeared?? Or has anyone seen him? I haven't seen that dude in here in weeks........Guess he went underground since Zito is more like Mary Magdalene than God this year
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MadMobius » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:43 pm

Agreed Homebrewer...

I actually drafted him last year very late and held onto him the whole season (basically). Funny thing was the Twins wouldn't start him so I finally dropped him and in that same week, they announced that he was going to be a starter. I ended up trading someone for their #1 Waiver Priority just to get him back. This year, I drafted him in the 5th round thinking he would have a Cy Young type season so that round would be a bargain. It looked like he would be a big bust this season (although I refused every offer for him), now he looks like he's makin that run at a Cy Young after all...(would still take quite a bit..)...

I was considering him my 4th best starter this year but now...
---Lincecum---------Gallardo------Santana-----------Peavy---

Props to "The_Show" for my sig...
MadMobius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:50 pm

Lets see in 2002 he was 1.88 era, 1.12 whip in june in 5 starts, then the next month he was 4.21/1.40

In 2003 he was 1.99/0.93 in June, 5.58/1.04 July, 1.07/0.95 august, 4.85/1.31 september.

Its not unprescedented at all to see him being the most dominating pitcher around for a month or so and then come back to reality for a while. Like I said, maybe this year he just stays dominating, maybe he doesn't, but its certainly not a sure thing.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby thehat » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:05 pm

Ender wrote:Lets see in 2002 he was 1.88 era, 1.12 whip in june in 5 starts, then the next month he was 4.21/1.40

In 2003 he was 1.99/0.93 in June, 5.58/1.04 July, 1.07/0.95 august, 4.85/1.31 september.

Its not unprescedented at all to see him being the most dominating pitcher around for a month or so and then come back to reality for a while. Like I said, maybe this year he just stays dominating, maybe he doesn't, but its certainly not a sure thing.

Nothing is a sure thing. But the fact is that most experts have felt for some time that it was simply a matter of time before Santana shed the youthful inconsistencies and became a dominant perfomer. So the erratic splits of the prior two seasons carry little weight to me.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AKhomebrewer » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:00 pm

Ender wrote:Lets see in 2002 he was 1.88 era, 1.12 whip in june in 5 starts, then the next month he was 4.21/1.40

I'll give you credit for using numbers to bolster your case. But to assert a "bad month" based only on ERA/WHIP is a rather narrow definition (particularly when a 1.04 WHIP is included in a bad month).

In the bad month of July 02 he went 2-1 with one save and 33K in 25.2 IP. It was also the only period that could remotely be called "bad" during his 2002 season.

I'll give you July of 2003, when he was 0-2 and only struck out a batter an inning. That was the month he was moved from the pen to the rotation full-time and twice got rocked in late innings he had rarely approached before. He responded with a 5-0 August, with ERA/WHIP documented in your post.

In the bad month of Sept 03 he was in IP/pitch-count territory he'd never reached before as a pro and was also dealing with the aforementioned elbow that would need surgery afterward. Oh, and he went 3-0 with a strikout per inning.

I'm willing to suffer through these lapses since, by your own math, his "good" months are basically Cy stuff.

Have a good season.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers