Santana is making some of y'all look mighty dumb - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Santana is making some of y'all look mighty dumb

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby swoosh3esq » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:37 am

I was able to trade Milton , D. Willis, and Millar for Santana when he was struggling. I stated this in a previous post and was told I gave too much up.

Well, Santana has become a stud. Millar struggled and was dropped, and I was able to pick him off the waiver wire again in time for him to heat up. Worked out ok.
swoosh3esq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 53
Joined: 29 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwannna » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:25 am

A Yahoo writer pretty much summed it up...

Yahoo! wrote:Jul 28 Twins pitcher Johan Santana held the White Sox to two hits and one run over six innings of work on Tuesday night. Santana walked two, struck out six, and picked up his ninth win of the season. He's now 2-0 with a 0.86 ERA in three starts since the All-Star break.

Views: Santana has allowed only 14 hits over 46 innings in July. Feel free to read that again. He also owns a 1.17 ERA and 61 strikeouts in the month. If we include June, Johan is 7-3 with a 1.72 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 107 strikeouts, and 35 hits allowed over his last 11 starts (83.2 innings). We don't have the words to describe those numbers.


My journey with Johan... Last year (H2H) I picked him up after the all-star break, he had a couple of bumps in the road but was overall pretty outstanding. This year in my H2H, I traded Borowski for Santana before the season started. He was awful, and he proceeded to ride the pine, until after his breakout start -- 11 starts ago. Can't say enough about the guy.
Bwannna
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 176
Joined: 18 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:29 am

Bwannna wrote:A Yahoo writer pretty much summed it up...

Yahoo! wrote:Jul 28 Twins pitcher Johan Santana held the White Sox to two hits and one run over six innings of work on Tuesday night. Santana walked two, struck out six, and picked up his ninth win of the season. He's now 2-0 with a 0.86 ERA in three starts since the All-Star break.

Views: Santana has allowed only 14 hits over 46 innings in July. Feel free to read that again. He also owns a 1.17 ERA and 61 strikeouts in the month. If we include June, Johan is 7-3 with a 1.72 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 107 strikeouts, and 35 hits allowed over his last 11 starts (83.2 innings). We don't have the words to describe those numbers.


My journey with Johan... Last year (H2H) I picked him up after the all-star break, he had a couple of bumps in the road but was overall pretty outstanding. This year in my H2H, I traded Borowski for Santana before the season started. He was awful, and he proceeded to ride the pine, until after his breakout start -- 11 starts ago. Can't say enough about the guy.


Wow, incredible. 14 hits over 46 innings. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season, he should be a 1st or 2nd rounder next year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby barry4prez » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:38 pm

I find this kind of funny. There's a little something called consistency which separates the truly elite starting pitchers (Schmidt, Johnson, Schilling, Mulder, Prior/Wood if they could stay healthy, maybe a few others) from guys like Santana. Sure, he's had an amazing 11 starts. But what were his 10 previous starts like? They were awful! What's stopping him from going on another horrid streak?

Don't get me wrong. This guy is AWESOME. At this point you'd have to consider him a top-10 pitcher, maybe even top-5 if he keeps this up much longer. But I'd be a little leery of taking him over guys you KNOW will be superstars CONSISTENTLY. I think before people annoint him the best pitcher in baseball, and a top-5 next year, they should look at Schmidt, who's had only 2 bad starts all year (one was his first start of the year after he missed spring training), to go with 17 other spectacular ones.

Just thought I'd spread some love for Schmidt, at times he seems like a forgotten man even though he's the most dominant pitcher in baseball.
barry4prez
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 158
Joined: 27 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:47 pm

Not to sound like Clinton but it depends on your definition of "consistent".

From 1995 to 2002 Schmidt's record was 69-62 with an ERA of about 4.50.

He was getting better and his break out last year was comparable to Loaiza's.

So compare Schmidt to Clemens, RJ and Maddux and he is not consistently good. He is becoming a star and arguably became a star last year.

This is also what we are saying about Santana. Maybe Santana is 1/2 a year to a year behind Schmidt but he also does not have 6 years of mediocrity behind him either so we are guessing that his ceiling may be a bit higher.

(also how do you say that Prior is consistent and Santana is not?? that one really confuses me)
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby Ender » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:25 pm

Santana has studly stretches like this before, he just follows them up with a mediocre month. Maybe this is the year he finishes off the season a stud the whole way, would be nice for santana owners, but its not like he's a sure thing the rest of the way out.


Also I find it hard to call the sox offense missing ordonez and big frank MUCH WORSE than the cubs offense. Sheets still had a 1.00 whip on the day, he still had 8 K's, he just let 2 HR's, it happens to everyone, just go look at Schmidts last few games.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:28 pm

Ender wrote:Santana has studly stretches like this before, he just follows them up with a mediocre month. Maybe this is the year he finishes off the season a stud the whole way, would be nice for santana owners, but its not like he's a sure thing the rest of the way out.


Also I find it hard to call the sox offense missing ordonez and big frank MUCH WORSE than the cubs offense. Sheets still had a 1.00 whip on the day, he still had 8 K's, he just let 2 HR's, it happens to everyone, just go look at Schmidts last few games.


Take a look at split stats....the CWS are dominant vs. lefties (Johan), and the CHC are dominant vs. lefties as well, so being that Sheets is a righty, you should expect him to do well. Johan shouldn't be expected to do well in my book against a team like the CWS.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle Eye
Posts: 11960
Joined: 31 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:42 pm

Transmogrifier wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Every day, I regret waiting for 1 more start when he was still struggling and was on the WW. :-[


He was on the WW? Ugh. I was trying to trade for him... to no avail. :-t


After he had that terrible start and (maybe??) was injured, his owner dropped him in my league.
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Ender » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:11 am

Yeah I must say about a month ago I tried pretty hardcore to trade for santana to no avail. Its pretty shocking that he was on WW for any length of time in your league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:18 am

Ender wrote:Yeah I must say about a month ago I tried pretty hardcore to trade for santana to no avail. Its pretty shocking that he was on WW for any length of time in your league.


Only less than a week but I just wanted 1 more start. :-/
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact