Bowling Lanes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bowling Lanes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:46 pm

Before you say go to the lanes & practice .I tried that but the lanes in open bowling time stink.Their dryer than my grandmas ..... nevermind,I think you get it.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:00 am

Lenny Dykstra wrote:You're correct Mad it is a silver streak(damnyou'regood).I'm just joining a highly competitive new league in the fall & I think I might have to invest in a new ball.It seems that the majority of the guys in the league now use a polished ball as opposed to the ball I currently use now(silverstreak)now i'm curious if I have to change my whole approach with a new ball...uggh.or if the polished ball would react the same as the silverstreak???????

I aim to please and I've been around the game awhile. ;-)

As to your question, you really shouldn't have to change a thing in your game due to a new ball. Your adjustments will be about the same (slight variation) but on the overall, not a big change at all. You will just get a more consistant reaction and better pin action by upgrading to some newer equipment. Don't misunderstand, I know quite a few people who have a Silver Streak in their bags and have shot very well with it. It's a good ball, but it does tend to be a bit skid/flippy on synthetic lanes. Consistancy is the biggest key to bowling. You doing the exact same thing every time and the ball doing the exact same thing every time. Something like a shiney Top Fuel, or the Pure Fuel will help on the equipment's part. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:07 am

Tavish wrote:When did they add the new regulations in? I am almost certain that there is still the leeway allowance for a crown or depression. Its not much of an allowance but it is somewhat evident in the two centers I bowl at (both of which are sanctioned).

The rule has been up forever. It's been heavily enforced the last 10 years or so, give or take. Are you sure you're not thinking about the oil pattern rather than grooves in the lane? There's no way for a crown to happen naturally. It's the oil pattern and yes, there are thousands of different oil patters availiable to centers. Aournd 80% of the patterns involve a crown of some sort. Wetter toward the middle and drier toward the outside. That's a crown pattern just to make sure we are on the same page about "crown". ;-)

Depressions are a complete no-no though. The variation is something like .0000001 allowable and that's simply because machines can't get much more precise than that at the moment. Also, at that measurement, it doesn't affect the trajectory of the ball in the least.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:09 am

thanks for the help guys.
p.s. mad-i actually love that silver streak ohh well.i'll try one of the ones you recommend.thanks again!
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 am

No problem at all. ;-D Talk with your pro shop guy and see what he says. He will have a better idea of what type of pattern you will be bowling on and can help you select the right ball. My equipment suggestions were just a starting point based on my experience with them. I want to hear when you shoot 300 and/or 800. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:18 am

When I say crown I mean a high spot, the natural crown that would devolp when wood lanes are refinished. The 2-3 arrow grove happened as a result of trying to combat the crown. I'll look around for the ABC specs, I am almost positive that the allowance was something like plus/minus 1/20th of an inch. Its been over 10 years since I worked in the bowling alley so my memory might be playing tricks on me or the regulations may have changed.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:34 am

Ah, I thought you were referring to a crown down the lane. As to the highest point of the lane to the lowest point, it's incredibly small. Not enough to make a difference at all. My grandmother managed quite a few centers in her lifetime and at one of them they had the grooves from years of use. The center also got shut down due to it and ultimately led to that center's death.

Lack of proper resurfacing led to sanctions being removed, which led to leagues leaving, which led to ownership realizing that they had to get the lanes within specifications, which led to them realizing the cost was way to high, resulting in the death of the center. (How's that for one really long sentence? Lol.)

Anyway, it's something you won't find nowadays. If you do, your local ABC association is not doing thier jobs and haven't been for quite some time. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Previous

Return to General Talk