Bowling Lanes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Bowling Lanes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bowling Lanes

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:40 pm

Can someone tell me the difference between the old fashioned wood lanes & the new synthetic lanes?& does the ball I use on the old style wood lanes is that o.k for synthetic lanes?I use a rotogrip ball with the dull finish & throw a semibig hook.Excuse my lack of proper terms i'm kind of like the manny ramirez of bowling see the pin knock down the pin.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:00 pm

I can't really help you much....my bowling handi cap starts when I decide to go.... :-b

I did leave a note for our resident bowling expert to help you out though... ;-D
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:01 pm

Madison would be the person to ask I believe ;-)
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:06 pm

thanks!
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:45 pm

Normally the biggest difference is that on synthetic lanes more oil pushes down the lanes while on wood lanes more oil absorbs into the lane. There is "normally" less adjustment mid-game on synthetic lanes and synthetic lanes tend to have stronger back ends. Quite a bit of that is dependant on the oil pattern though.

Also wood lanes (especially older lanes) tend to have a ball track in the 2-3 arrow area from the constant resurfacing while different sections of the synthetic lanes will react differently.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:21 pm

Did someone mention bowling? :-B

Ok, wood vs. synthetic:

Wood lanes typically will push down and then dry up over the course of 3 games. I'm speculating we're discussing a league condition? Synthetic lanes will commonly push down, but the heads (early area of the lane) will dry up resulting in early hook followed by a skid to the pocket. The shot also tends to change more rapidly on synthetic lanes. Typically centers with synthetic lanes use a ligher oil pattern due to the carry down problems. Some of them do use a very heavy short pattern though, so it really depends on what the house condition is.

Dull Rotogrip? I'll take a stab and say a Silver Streak? If in fact it's a Silver Streak you might find it to be a bit erratic on the synthetic lanes. Tends to overhook or skid really easy based on the oil. If you like Rotogrip equipment then I carried a Top Fuel for quite some time and judging from the semibig hook comment that either a Top Fuel (but polish it) or the Pure Fuel might be a good fit for you. Both are good for either types of lanes and are solid bowling balls.

Feel free to add any further comments/questions to this thread, or feel free to pm me about it. I can talk bowling for ever. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:27 pm

Tavish wrote:Also wood lanes (especially older lanes) tend to have a ball track in the 2-3 arrow area from the constant resurfacing

Sorry to disagree here, but that's not the case anymore. In the old days it was very true, but now ABC's (American Bowling Congress) rules prohibit that. Each lane must be flat all the way across and from the foul line to the back of the pin deck. If a single lane is found to have a groove in it, the entire center can lose their sanction immediately. When wood lanes are resurfaced, they are done all the way across and from the foul line to the back of the pin deck. No variation anywhere on the lane. Completely flat or else it's illegal. Not one center out there will risk losing their sanction.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:28 pm

i think that sums everything up
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:41 pm

You're correct Mad it is a silver streak(damnyou'regood).I'm just joining a highly competitive new league in the fall & I think I might have to invest in a new ball.It seems that the majority of the guys in the league now use a polished ball as opposed to the ball I currently use now(silverstreak)now i'm curious if I have to change my whole approach with a new ball...uggh.or if the polished ball would react the same as the silverstreak???????
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:44 pm

When did they add the new regulations in? I am almost certain that there is still the leeway allowance for a crown or depression. Its not much of an allowance but it is somewhat evident in the two centers I bowl at (both of which are sanctioned).

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to General Talk