Ok, I'll ask: What's up with Piazza? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ok, I'll ask: What's up with Piazza?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ok, I'll ask: What's up with Piazza?

Postby nsulham » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:41 pm

As a Piazza owner I'm a bit disappointed in Mikey's production, or lack thereof, so far. Granted he was out the first week and might be rusty but for supposedly being the best catcher in all of fantasyland, he's not showing it. I have more hr's and rbi's than he does! Not to mention his average almost makes Jeff Cirillio's look like Tony Gwynn's. Just venting a bit here. I know he'll heat up soon (hopefully) and my bitching will be gone but he's killing my team thus far.

BTW, I have a little conspiracy about his poor start. My thinking is that Vinnie the equipment manager in that MLB apparel ad took all of Piazza's talent by stealing his jersey. "These thing's are magic Mikey!" :-b
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:06 am

Relax, it's only been a couple weeks, nowhere near enough time to pass judgement on Piazza. He is just in a slump right now. In fact, the entire Mets team is in a bit of a slump. Once Alomar, Floyd and Vaughn start heating up, Piazza will surely follow.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

piazza

Postby juan samuel » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:58 am

now's a perfect time to panic! you knew when you drafted him that you had the nl's top catcher --- but you probably also knew that's he's been in decline for a couple of years now. he'll turn it around some, of course --- but I'm thinking .275, 25 HRs. Great for a catcher, but probably not what you were hoping for. :-o
juan samuel

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby The Guru_fbc » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:55 pm

i hope you didn't waste your first pick on him
The Guru_fbc
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Mordraken » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:04 pm

For those of us with crap at the Catcher position, what could we target to trade for Piazza? Is it worth moving someone like Kevin Millar/Jose Cruz for him? Durazo? or should it be someone better like a Jim Edmonds/Bobby Abreu (seems like a lot to me)? Or someone lesser than those?

How about pitchers? If you wanted to get Mikey, who would you offer? I'm thinking of offering Freddy Garcia & Toby Hall for Piazza, then turning around and trading Kevin Millar of Jose Cruz for a decent pitcher... (like perhaps Jason Schmidt).
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:07 pm

If you have excess pitching or outfielders, you could probably try to trade one of those for better catching, especially if the Piazza owner is already getting ready to throw up the white flag. Keep in mind that you may be able to get better value and give up less if you go for a second tier catcher like Posada or Lo Duca, who may have numbers close to Piazza's anyway. I had A. Ramirez and Eric Chavez and was able to offload Ramirez for Lo Duca.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jebatzel » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:55 pm

Guy in my league drafted Piazza and Kendall. He happens to be the league commisoner too.

Yet he is sticking with Piazza. I think Piazza is on the down hill. he may still get his average up and hit 20 homeruns, but he has seen better years. If you can try and pick up a catcher off waivers who is hitting now.

He traded someone Kendall and got Jeff Kent, so he did kind of make out.

I even tried to veto the trade, but it went thru. In our league it takes 3 vetos to cancel a trade. Minutes after the commisoner got the 2nd one he quickly aproved the trade so no one else could veto it.

JB
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:01 pm

Why would you veto a Kendall for Jeff Kent trade? No, I don't think that the person giving up Kent is making a smart move but it is definitely not veto-worthy. If the person getting Kendall already has a solid alternative for Kent at 2B and a terrible catcher, it isn't a bad trade for him. Unless someone is cheating or dumping their team, vetoes should not be used.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jebatzel » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:31 pm

He has Alfonso Soriano

I was looking at it as Kendall will never put up the numbers Jeff Kent will.

JB
Last edited by jebatzel on Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebatzel
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:33 pm

Well, if he has Soriano and Kent, it is obvious that he would want to trade one of them to upgrade another position. It is true that Kendall may not put up the same pure numbers as Kent, but you also have to factor in the position he plays. If he gives you 40% more production from the catching position than the average catcher, it would be well worth it for Kent who would be sitting on the bench. Either way, it is not a unfair trade and definitely should not be vetoed if both owners are just trying to improve their teams.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers