What Do You Like More - Roto or Points Scoring? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What Do You Like More - Roto or Points Scoring?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:31 pm

5x5 roto all the way for me and it's not even close.

Points is by far and away my least favorite due to the fact that you can ignore or punt catagories. The team that manipulates the point system the best wins the league. No fun in that for me. I've yet to find a scoring system that was interesting in the least. They all skew toward one thing or another.

H2H is ok, but not real fun either. Any team can have a bad week or lose in the playoffs. Not worth the work of building the best team, being way out in first and then losing simply because of an off week or because your guys are being rested for the real playoffs.

Roto takes almost all aspects of the game into account and measures the teams based on their overall performance for the year. You must have a well balanced team to win a roto league and be able to maintain it the entire year. The game is a marathon, not a sprint. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KULCAT » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:09 pm

Points, depending on the system you have you get a better understanding of a player efficiency. Points can suck if your not in contention early cause most likely you wont get a comeback but after playing my first roto league this year i gott say i prefer Points.
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:16 pm

I like em both but the only thing I hate about points is less people trade in point leagues.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DaQ » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:17 pm

I like points. In a points league, you have more roster flexiblity and a superstar like Albert Pujols is more important to your team. It also prevents trades like Bonds (power) for Juan Pierre (speed), which obviously is a bit lobsided IMO if the trade was done in the MLB (pts leagues are more realistic).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:11 pm

Lenny Dykstra wrote:I like em both but the only thing I hate about points is less people trade in point leagues.

That is a good point. The reason for that is that in points leagues, players have specific values at any point in time- their Pts/Game, so there are no questions about which player is worth more to a team. In Roto however, you will see teams trade for their weaknesses, often SB, giving those players- Crawford etc distinct value for the different way that they play from the typical power slugger OF like Sosa. Roto requires a more balanced team, and that leads to more trading, because teams actually NEED to acquire balance.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:13 pm

DaQ wrote:I like points. In a points league, you have more roster flexiblity and a superstar like Albert Pujols is more important to your team. It also prevents trades like Bonds (power) for Juan Pierre (speed), which obviously is a bit lobsided IMO if the trade was done in the MLB (pts leagues are more realistic).

I actually like that scenario. It adds a ton more strategy, rather than a cut and dry "who gets the most pts/game" that you see in Points leagues.

In other words, Roto requires a ton more strategy and assessing values to players is much more complicated, which makes the game more difficult and also leads to more trades, which are always good. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:19 pm

I love Rotoball....more strategy...more trades...and you must havt a more balanced team....although I do play a few H2H and point leagues...but that is just to keep me sharp for you guys... :-) ...ahh, the sacrifices... ;-)
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:26 pm

Id have to say I like the head to head system a little better. I like the fact that, like real baseball, coming in first in the regular season does not give you the championship. I also make more daily moves in head to head so I give it more attention. For example, if one week I am losing SB but winning other offensive cats, I can put in a guy like Sanchez to get me an SB. In roto, if Im losing SB, I have to have him in there to get back into contention for the SB cat. I guess maybe it also has to do with the fact that I havent been able to find a competitive roto league. Sluggers, Im in your 16 team head to head and would be interested in a competitive roto league. You've done well with that league and I like the differing stats that are used. Not a big fan of standard yahoo cats.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Jester » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:38 pm

I like both...for completely different reasons.
I love waking up in the morning to see my total points accumulated from the night before...(by the way, this is an all year points league). You don't get that as much with Roto...when I watch a game I think in points now...I know with every home run I get 6 points...so when Posada hit that Slam the night before last and the 3 run jack last night, I knew he was getting me 9 and 8 points respectively. That’s my favourite part of points.

...but if I could help it you would never see a Winn or a Podsednick on my points team, but they would be on my Roto team due to balance. I love Roto because it separates the people who know from the people who don't. The ones that do their research properly win Roto leagues...You gotta know everyone with Roto, not just the guys who hit dingers.
Table 3.2 outlines the findings of the inspection of the roof systems.
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:07 pm

Jester wrote:Table 3.2 outlines the findings of the inspection of the roof systems.

Huh? :-?

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers