What Do You Like More - Roto or Points Scoring? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What Do You Like More - Roto or Points Scoring?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What Do You Like More - Roto or Points Scoring?

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:02 pm

I am not trying to gather people for a new league or anything here. I have been trying to get a league started for next year, and in the course of doing that, I have had my curiousity sparked. I want to know what the ratio is of people who prefer roto scoring to points scoring.

To clarify, do you have a preference to play roto leagues where you are scored on categories (AVG, HR, SB, WHIP, etc.) or do you like to play points leagues where you are awarded points for certain events (1 pt for a single, 2 points for a double, 3 points for a triple, etc.)?

Myself, I prefer points scoring. There's something about categorical (roto) that I don't like, although I haven't put my finger on what it is exactly. I think it's more that the points system seems to be more like the real game of baseball, although you can argue to the contrary, of course. Either way, when I look around, I get the distinct feeling I am in the minority when I say that I prefer points to roto.

So I ask you, what do you prefer - roto or points?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Mustangs989 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:04 pm

Played both and preferred Roto. It's the best team over the course of the season rather then who has the best team the last week of the season. As last year in my CBS league I had 1000 pts more than all other teams and lost in the championship because Pedro rested for the playoffs.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:08 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:Played both and preferred Roto. It's the best team over the course of the season rather then who has the best team the last week of the season. As last year in my CBS league I had 1000 pts more than all other teams and lost in the championship because Pedro rested for the playoffs.

Allow be just to play Devil's Advocate here:

Wouldn't you say that what you dislike about points is exactly how real baseball works? A team could go undefeated all year long, and still lose in the first round of the playoffs because of a fluke injury or a bad call.

Again, I'm not being beligerent. You're obviously entitled to your own opinion, and I'm not tyring to change it. I just want to pick your brain, if I may.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby thetongueofire » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:09 pm

roto for me. not even close.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:25 pm

I like roto better for the strategy (there are only so many points to go around)

However, one thing I am really, really tired of is the overrating of saves and steals, that irks me quite a bit to be honest. I wish they could comgine the cat into saves/steals and add another category somehow.

The thing I like about points is that it is like real baseball in that you can choose your course. You can ignore saves if you want, go weak on pitching, heavy on hitting, slap happy, whatever. I like that element. I like that you won't lost 10 percent of your score because of scarcity.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Rkiivs » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:49 pm

Roto is my poison.

I'm with GG on the Saves cat. I'd like to see it replaced with Save%.

Steals, meh, I can take 'em or leave 'em.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby Kelly Gruber » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:52 pm

I also like points better. The last 2 years I did points leagues and this year I'm doing a roto league in addition, and I really don't like it. It has made me neurotic. For example, I have Schmidt in both leagues. In my roto league, I agonized over the 8 ER and WHIP of his last start, but I the points league, I know it wasn't a good start but it's not as agonizing. Also, every time a player starts slumping in roto, and you see him go 0'fer every day, it sucks.

I like points a lot better ;-D
An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer
Kelly Gruber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mkultra » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:52 pm

Play both, like both. Roto has deeper strategy, but nothing beats watching a slugger rack up 50 points in a week.

One thing about points I like is that it's harder to count a bad team out in the middle of the season. In roto, the season-long accumulation of statistics seems to lop off the bottom few teams by the All Star break. In H2H points, "bad" teams can still fight week-to-week, keeping them interested.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

a

Postby JOEG » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:59 pm

Points by far

I get bored in roto leagues, points keeps it exciting till the end, i agree the best team usually doesn't win in points/playoff leagues, however look at baseball... Were the Marlins better then the Yankees? Nope they werent, but how exciting was the series?

I can see people arguing this both ways, I personally like my points league much much more then roto.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:03 pm

I prefer category style scoring way above a straight point system. It forces players to build more complete teams. Plus the category scoring system tends to be more balanced in giving the different styles of players an equal value.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers