drumroll... WHERE THE HECK IS RANDY GOING??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

drumroll... WHERE THE HECK IS RANDY GOING???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

randy johnson will wear this jersey by sunday:

Poll ended at Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:23 pm

yankees
38%
angels
17%
dodgers
2%
D-Backs
42%

Total votes : 52

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:38 pm

Madison wrote:
nsulham wrote:Who would they give up though Mad? I think I just read something that said they weren't interested in trading away their young players.

We've got more than enough talent and no where to play them. Laird is back, so that means no playing time for Barajas and Arizona has shown interest in getting a catcher. Our OF is way, way too crowded, and we've got tons of minor league talent. Not to mention that Eric Young is expendable in the right deal if Arizona wants an infielder. The Rangers could most certainly put together a versitile package that Arizona would be happy with.

Why would Arizona want him back?? He was there and it seems like they were happy to get rid of him. :-?

I also say this knowing that you were kidding but also didn't see any emoticons. :-D
Last edited by Lofunzo on Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:38 pm

Haha Lo, I heard that on WFAN today too. :-b
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:40 pm

Reading the paper today- Star Ledger, RJ's agent said (paraphrased) "If RJ is not traded to the Yankees, Arizona is going to have one very unhappy player on their hands," in other words threatening that he'd get into more fights in the clubhouse if they don't send him to the Yankees. They also mentioned that in 98 he got into clubhouse altercations in the week before the Mariners finally traded him. It seems he's willing to take things into his own hands, to try to handcuff Arizona into sending him to NY. And I honestly think that's where he'll be when this is all over.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:57 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
nsulham wrote:
rmeesig wrote:He'll be a Yankee.

The B.S. about not having enough quality prospects was started by a bitter old RedSox fan on BBT...*cough* gammons *cough*

Dbacks scouts have said the prospects are plenty good:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... n0727.html

<snip>

Questions about the quality of the New York Yankees' farm system had tempered talk of a swap with baseball's richest team, but now a Diamondbacks scout has spoken publicly about the value of several Yankees prospects

<snip>

The question is whether or not they want to keep a 41 year old pitcher around and pay the $24mil (?) he's still owed. The Yanks may have to pick up Mantei and Alomar's contracts as well, but big deal, it's just money, and they can release them outright.

If Johnson is demanding to go to the Yankees, then the D-Backs don't have a whole lot of leverage other than spending these last few days trying to convince him to stay.

I know their front office doesn't want to be embarrassed again, but c'mon. These guys traded Curt Schilling, Lyle Overbay, Chris Capuano, Chad Moeller, Junior Spivey and Craig Counsell for Richie Sexson and Casey Fossum!

Man you're big on the guarantees. Hope you decide to stay around if you're wrong.

Also hope you don't mind not having a farm system for the foreseeable future because 5 of the "top propsects" will be gone IF there's a deal.

Take it for what it's worth but Tom Verducci said today that the Sox won't get him either because their chips in the minors are worse than the Yankees. :-b

Don't get me wrong Lo, I have almost no doubt he's not going to Boston. It'd take a minor miracle for the Sox to get him and it just ain't happening.

As far as the Sox system's being worse than the Yankees, that I'm not so sure about. If anything they're equal but the Yankees aren't better. Sox have some decent chips in Youkilis, Shoppach, Alvarez, Delcarmen and Hanley Ramirez. Before I get flamed I'm not saying any of them are Kazmirs or Kotchmans but they're not exactly trash.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby thetongueofire » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:03 pm

lol.. i cant believe Verducci would say that. Yankees prolly have the worst farm system cos of all those trades. and i'll bet my house hes not coming to Boston. in fact. if you were to look at the Red Sox payroll situation and the impending FA fiasco they literally can't add a $16-mil contract and still have the ability to fill all their other holes.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:10 pm

thetongueofire wrote:lol.. i cant believe Verducci would say that. Yankees prolly have the worst farm system cos of all those trades. and i'll bet my house hes not coming to Boston. in fact. if you were to look at the Red Sox payroll situation and the impending FA fiasco they literally can't add a $16-mil contract and still have the ability to fill all their other holes.

He wasn't saying that either was good. He was just saying that with all of the talk about the Yankees not having any minor leaguers to trade, neither do the Sox.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby WeaponsMasProduction » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:35 pm

i wouldnt completely rule out randy going to the sox. that would be awesome revenge for them after the arod deal.
WeaponsMasProduction
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:46 pm

WeaponsMasProduction wrote:i wouldnt completely rule out randy going to the sox. that would be awesome revenge for them after the arod deal.

Maybe you wouldn't but all signs seem to say he already has ruled them out. His agent said he wants to go to NY. Again, its not definate he wouldn't go to Boston, but I am personally 95% sure he won't.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thetongueofire » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:lol.. i cant believe Verducci would say that. Yankees prolly have the worst farm system cos of all those trades. and i'll bet my house hes not coming to Boston. in fact. if you were to look at the Red Sox payroll situation and the impending FA fiasco they literally can't add a $16-mil contract and still have the ability to fill all their other holes.

He wasn't saying that either was good. He was just saying that with all of the talk about the Yankees not having any minor leaguers to trade, neither do the Sox.

yep.. neither are "good" in any sense of the word but i thought you said that Verducci said that the "Red Sox chips in the minors are worse than the Yankees." which is an assesment i dont agree with.

and once again, there is absolutely NO chance that the unit will go to the Red Sox Nation. im 100 % sure that he wont.

its either NY or Halos mainly... Yankees if they can involve a third team to give up the prospects but im not sure why any team would be eager to help the Yankees buy Johnson in the first place. the Halos can take on the contract and prolly can give up Kotchman which gotta be appealing to the D'Backs. but im still not sold that he'll move. stories about how he'll "force" the D'backs to move him by being a "bad presence" in the clubhouse make me go like this-

8-o :-? O:-) :-? :-) :-b ...... :*) :*) }:-) :-D :-D ... !+) !+)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:59 pm

thetongueofire wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

yep.. neither are "good" in any sense of the word but i thought you said that Verducci said that the "Red Sox chips in the minors are worse than the Yankees." which is an assesment i dont agree with.

and once again, there is absolutely NO chance that the unit will go to the Red Sox Nation. im 100 % sure that he wont.

its either NY or Halos mainly... Yankees if they can involve a third team to give up the prospects but im not sure why any team would be eager to help the Yankees buy Johnson in the first place. the Halos can take on the contract and prolly can give up Kotchman which gotta be appealing to the D'Backs. but im still not sold that he'll move. stories about how he'll "force" the D'backs to move him by being a "bad presence" in the clubhouse make me go like this-

8-o :-? O:-) :-? :-) :-b ...... :*) :*) }:-) :-D :-D ... !+) !+)

Verducci did say that. I just wanted to clarify that he wasn't saying that they were much better than the Sox. He agreed that they were both bad but the Yankees chips were slightly better.
Lofunzo

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers