drumroll... WHERE THE HECK IS RANDY GOING??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

drumroll... WHERE THE HECK IS RANDY GOING???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

randy johnson will wear this jersey by sunday:

Poll ended at Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:23 pm

yankees
38%
angels
17%
dodgers
2%
D-Backs
42%

Total votes : 52

Postby Euclid » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:04 pm

He isn't going anywhere because for one he there are only a couple of teams that are options and second the diamondbacks want a lot for him in return
Euclid
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

my 2c

Postby bluefire7 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:24 pm

my guess is that he's gunna stay with the dbacks. it'll be bittersweet either way, since he is 41 afterall, and the yanks would be giving up their future (what else is new). but then again, i didn't want him when he was rumored to go to the yanks instead of houston, and was lights out there..

but i definitely will not be surprised if he winds up in pinstripes knowing our front office. a) cashman has a history of giving up the farm to plug gaping holes; b) steinbrenner loves the unit; c) the dbacks love trading their stars/prospective stars B-) for garbage !+)
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:37 pm

rmeesig wrote:He'll be a Yankee.

The B.S. about not having enough quality prospects was started by a bitter old RedSox fan on BBT...*cough* gammons *cough*

Dbacks scouts have said the prospects are plenty good:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... n0727.html

<snip>

Questions about the quality of the New York Yankees' farm system had tempered talk of a swap with baseball's richest team, but now a Diamondbacks scout has spoken publicly about the value of several Yankees prospects

<snip>

The question is whether or not they want to keep a 41 year old pitcher around and pay the $24mil (?) he's still owed. The Yanks may have to pick up Mantei and Alomar's contracts as well, but big deal, it's just money, and they can release them outright.

If Johnson is demanding to go to the Yankees, then the D-Backs don't have a whole lot of leverage other than spending these last few days trying to convince him to stay.

I know their front office doesn't want to be embarrassed again, but c'mon. These guys traded Curt Schilling, Lyle Overbay, Chris Capuano, Chad Moeller, Junior Spivey and Craig Counsell for Richie Sexson and Casey Fossum!

Man you're big on the guarantees. Hope you decide to stay around if you're wrong.

Also hope you don't mind not having a farm system for the foreseeable future because 5 of the "top propsects" will be gone IF there's a deal.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:39 pm

I don't want Randy. Give him to LA.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jeffc_76 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:09 pm

I think he is going to NY at the deadline and not before. Latest rumor from ESPN's premium content (which doesn't let me copy/paste....sorry) is that Arizona is waiting until the last minute while they try to involve a 3rd party so they can get the absolute maximum out of the trade. This makes sense from their perspective. They know that NY will still be interested regardless of whether or not they string us along for another few days. I also think that their repeated statements that they are under no pressure to trade RJ is simply posturing. Weak division or not, that team is more than a year away from contending.

The trade will essentially wipe out all that's left of NY's good trading chips in the farm system, so it will be a couple years before we can pull off another trade of anything close to this magnitude, unless it involves already active major league players.

At the same time, I would not be shocked to see Contreras as part of the trade. He's shown flashes of what he can do recently but he flopped again in the big series in Boston this past weekend. That is not going to sit well with the Yankees brass who have to be concerned what he'll do in a pressure situation this postseason. I think El Duque's start tonight may be a big determining factor as to whether or not we are willing to let Contreras go (which could reduce the cost in AAA players). If we decide that El Duque has a good chance of continuing to pitch well through October, Contreras becomes expendable. We will expect Mussina or Brown or hopefully both will be in good form by then. We're obviously counting on Vazquez. If we get RJ, he immediately assumes the #1 spot and El Duque will either be #4 or #5 depending on if one or both of Mussina/Brown are good enough to go. I discount Lieber in this analysis because I see him going to the postseason bullpen unless the rotation is in complete shambles. Anyway, if El Duque has his 4th good start in a row tonight, it will be tempting to start thinking in terms of him being a potential starter in October or the first guy out of the pen if both Mussina and Brown are firing on all cylinders by then.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:15 pm

nsulham wrote:
Man you're big on the guarantees. Hope you decide to stay around if you're wrong.

Also hope you don't mind not having a farm system for the foreseeable future because 5 of the "top propsects" will be gone IF there's a deal.

I didn't guarantee anything! I know anything can happen, and I'm only going by what seems to make the most sense. It just so happens this discussion happens to be about my team. I've been wrong before, and probably will be again.. ;-D

As far as a farm goes, we haven't had a farm since George came back from his ban from baseball, so I'm not too worried. We can always buy what we need anyway... ;)
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ensanimal » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:16 pm

how come montreal isn't on the list? :-? :-D

the new washington team (or wherever) needs a star attraction to get started. rj fits in quite nicely. :-b
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:27 pm

GSes wrote:Randy Johnson will be traded, I don't understand why anyone would think he wouldn't be traded?

He is under contract for another year.
Randy has not demanded a trade, only said he isn't against it.
No one has (publicly) come close to an offer worth a trade.
Arizona needs to be a contender to have a good shot at resigning Sexson this off season.
He likes living in AZ, his family appearantly enjoys it there as well.

I haven't really seen many good reasons that he WILL be traded.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Nomar4prez » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:34 pm

He's gonna go to the Yankees, but I think he'll get injured(not being mean spirited, just don't think that knee can hold up)
[url]http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=453973[/url]
Going to huge someday.
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:36 pm

nsulham wrote:
rmeesig wrote:He'll be a Yankee.

The B.S. about not having enough quality prospects was started by a bitter old RedSox fan on BBT...*cough* gammons *cough*

Dbacks scouts have said the prospects are plenty good:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... n0727.html

<snip>

Questions about the quality of the New York Yankees' farm system had tempered talk of a swap with baseball's richest team, but now a Diamondbacks scout has spoken publicly about the value of several Yankees prospects

<snip>

The question is whether or not they want to keep a 41 year old pitcher around and pay the $24mil (?) he's still owed. The Yanks may have to pick up Mantei and Alomar's contracts as well, but big deal, it's just money, and they can release them outright.

If Johnson is demanding to go to the Yankees, then the D-Backs don't have a whole lot of leverage other than spending these last few days trying to convince him to stay.

I know their front office doesn't want to be embarrassed again, but c'mon. These guys traded Curt Schilling, Lyle Overbay, Chris Capuano, Chad Moeller, Junior Spivey and Craig Counsell for Richie Sexson and Casey Fossum!

Take it for what it's worth but Tom Verducci said today that the Sox won't get him either because their chips in the minors are worse than the Yankees. :-b
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers