drumroll... WHERE THE HECK IS RANDY GOING??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

drumroll... WHERE THE HECK IS RANDY GOING???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

randy johnson will wear this jersey by sunday:

Poll ended at Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:23 pm

yankees
38%
angels
17%
dodgers
2%
D-Backs
42%

Total votes : 52

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:50 pm

Madison wrote:I'll go with a darkhorse here and say the Rangers. :-D

Sounds nuts, but here's the deal:

1. The Rangers will get another starter before the trade deadline is up and they know that a top flight starter like RJ would most likely seal the division up for them. Not to mention his impact in the playoffs.

2. Contrary to popular belief, the Rangers are not hard strapped for cash plus they just sold the naming rights to the Ballpark in Arlington so there is more than enough availiable cash to sign a big name like RJ to an extension.

3. RJ wants to win and is fed up with zero run support. Run support is definitely not a problem in Texas. With all the Angels talk, he is well aware that if he joins the Angels, they will have to catch the Rangers (currently 5 games back), so why not just join the Rangers instead?

4. There's always a trade every year that comes out of the blue that hardly anyone heard so much as a rumor about prior to it happening, so this could very well be the big one this year.

Now all of that makes way too much sense for it to actually happen, but if by some chance it does, you heard it here first. :-D

Who would they give up though Mad? I think I just read something that said they weren't interested in trading away their young players.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:53 pm

interesting stat in last weeks SI:

Arizona average home attendance when Randy Johnson is pitching:

without Randy Johnson:

I'm sure it's due to quality of opponent and weekend games, but it has some credibility in pointing out that he's not a huge a draw in Arizona as most people think.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:55 pm

nsulham wrote:Who would they give up though Mad? I think I just read something that said they weren't interested in trading away their young players.

We've got more than enough talent and no where to play them. Laird is back, so that means no playing time for Barajas and Arizona has shown interest in getting a catcher. Our OF is way, way too crowded, and we've got tons of minor league talent. Not to mention that Eric Young is expendable in the right deal if Arizona wants an infielder. The Rangers could most certainly put together a versitile package that Arizona would be happy with.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby nsulham » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:09 pm

Madison wrote:
nsulham wrote:Who would they give up though Mad? I think I just read something that said they weren't interested in trading away their young players.

We've got more than enough talent and no where to play them. Laird is back, so that means no playing time for Barajas and Arizona has shown interest in getting a catcher. Our OF is way, way too crowded, and we've got tons of minor league talent. Not to mention that Eric Young is expendable in the right deal if Arizona wants an infielder. The Rangers could most certainly put together a versitile package that Arizona would be happy with.

A package centering around Gerald Laird and Eric Young? Yikes 8-o

I'd be holding out for either Nix, Mench, Gonzalez or some package with at least 2 of those guys tossed in the mix.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GSes » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:17 pm

Randy Johnson will be traded, I don't understand why anyone would think he wouldn't be traded?

I mean a lot of you guys were all believers in the whole nomar, mags, zito trade ideas those were all CRAZY

but this makes sense

RJ will be dealt, where he goes I don't know

Obviously the front runner is the NYY, but it makes me sick to think that so i dont want too.

No way he goes to Texas, Oakland, Minesota, San Francisco, San Diego, Chicago Cubs, Houston, White Sox

so that leaves
St. Louis
Dodgers
Yanks
Red Sox

those are my 4 picks to snag the big unit

Im going to go ahead and call it right now

the Big Unit is going to the St Louis Cardinals
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chopper » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:30 pm

Agree that he's going to be moved. Can't tell me the D-Backs aren't familiar with Randy's '98 numbers after he said he wanted to 'renegotiate':

1998 Seattle Mariners -- W/L: 9- 10; ERA: 4.33
1998 Houston Astros --- W/L: 10- 1; ERA: 1.28

I say NYY. Whether its for insane cash, everybody in Columbus, or a 3-way deal, I'm convinced he's starting for the Yankees next week. Somehow, I also envision Contreras in a D-Backs jersey.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:44 pm

I thought he already refused Boston. I heard he badly dislikes Curt Schilling and doesn't want to go to Boston. Hmm... :-?
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:51 pm

GSes wrote:Randy Johnson will be traded, I don't understand why anyone would think he wouldn't be traded?

Colangelo returns from his vacation in Italy today. The Star Ledger reported that Colangelo is expected to meet face-to-face with R.J. to decide his fate with the Diamondbacks. Colangelo and Johnson have not had a meeting yet which would almost have to happen in order for Johnson to be moved. So obviously this isn't a done deal and there is enough doubt to believe he will not be traded.

Also, the Diamondbacks have not asked R.J. to trade his waive clause. Remember that waiving a no-trade clause has to be filed with the MLB front office and then passed through the player's union for inspection. Cutting it a little close, don't you think?

R.J.'s agent was quoted in today's papers as saying there was nothing new to report and that his client still had not requested a trade.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:54 pm

P.S. If a trade does go through it will almost undoubtedly be to the Yankees and Alomar will be in pinstripes! I would love to see that. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:55 pm

He'll be a Yankee.

The B.S. about not having enough quality prospects was started by a bitter old RedSox fan on BBT...*cough* gammons *cough*

Dbacks scouts have said the prospects are plenty good:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamond ... n0727.html

<snip>

Questions about the quality of the New York Yankees' farm system had tempered talk of a swap with baseball's richest team, but now a Diamondbacks scout has spoken publicly about the value of several Yankees prospects

<snip>

The question is whether or not they want to keep a 41 year old pitcher around and pay the $24mil (?) he's still owed. The Yanks may have to pick up Mantei and Alomar's contracts as well, but big deal, it's just money, and they can release them outright.

If Johnson is demanding to go to the Yankees, then the D-Backs don't have a whole lot of leverage other than spending these last few days trying to convince him to stay.

I know their front office doesn't want to be embarrassed again, but c'mon. These guys traded Curt Schilling, Lyle Overbay, Chris Capuano, Chad Moeller, Junior Spivey and Craig Counsell for Richie Sexson and Casey Fossum!
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers