Chicago Fan attacks umpire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Chicago Fan attacks umpire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Chicago Fan attacks umpire

Postby Chicago » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:31 pm

Another fan ran onto the field during a game, this time attacking an umpire. I want you to know this is not representative of Chicago baseball fans. Well, maybe White Sox fans, but not Cubs fans, that's for sure.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:16 am

What it is representative of is how horrible security at Comiskey must be. MLB should cancel all home games there or move them to Wrigley until the Comiskey security develops a better plan because that's ridiculous. A similar event happened yesterday in San Juan, when idiot fans ran onto the field and unfurled a peace protest sign and it took the security like two minutes to react. They should just move the games back to Montreal if that happens again.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amnorix » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:48 am

I really want to know what these fans are thinking. All they get for their trouble is (1) getting the snot kicked out of them by the players and security, (2) national humiliation, (3) a criminal record.

Actually, I didn't see the news last night so I didn't see what happened, but the pictures on ESPN showed him with a big bloody bandage around his head. This moron will probably end up trying to sue the players that hurt him or something...
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jnr98 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:06 am

...and they say NY fans are tough!
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby Hitmen » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:06 am

Don't blame the security at US Cellular (formerly comiskey). If you have been to a baseball game in any city, you would realize that it is very easy to get on the field if someone wants to. No amount of security is going to stop a lunatic.

I am a whitesox fan and this is not representative of their fans.
Hitmen

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:13 am

Just stop serving beer past the 5th.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

White Sox game

Postby bpb31 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:14 am

I was at the game. A total of four idiots rushed the field. Three were harmless and one was pyschotic. The pscho was probably just doing a copy cat thing from last year. Instant fame. The other guys had probably been drinking all day since it was so nice out and they are obviously unemployable.

On a lighter note one of these guys had on American flag boxers. As a security guard tackled him he also pulled his pants and boxers down. When he pulled the flag boxers back up my whole section starting chanting USA, USA, USA. That was actually pretty funny.

How come large breasted woman don't charge field anymore?
bpb31
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:35 pm

It's absolutely ridiculous that KC made a threat to not play because of security. They should have just said "We won't play unless they get new fans". I agree with Hitmen on this one. What are they supposed to do build a fence of burly bouncers around the perimeter of the stands? Maybe they should erect chicken wire barriers in front of the fans since they have the collective mentality of a deep south biker bar. I'll tell ya what they should do......

Before the game go to that specific section and do pre-macings. Just mace everyone in the section during warmups. I'm talking Women, Children, Old Ladies on oxygen, you know whoever. This way when the game starts and the Old lady wants to storm the field she's mostly blind and can't find the umpire or coach she's trying to beat. The rest of the fans would have extra entertainment in the form of a first base umpire holding her head while she swings aimlessly at his torso.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jdh » Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:39 pm

I still think that this is either lousy security or lousy stadium design. There is no excuse for the stadium security and management allowing that to happen. If it is unavoidable, then how come we never hear of this kind of incident at Yankee Stad. or Shea, and how come they were able to prevent anyone from running onto the field to clobber John Rocker back in 2000? They knew that there was a past incident the last time KC was in town and should have been prepared for it, like Shea security was prepared when Rocker was coming to town. They either had inadequate or inept security, plain and simple.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers