KRIS BENSON to the TWINS??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

KRIS BENSON to the TWINS???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

KRIS BENSON to the TWINS???

Postby ironman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:20 am

I just heard on Tony Bruno that Benson has been dealt to Minnesota for Doug Mientkiewicz. There may be other minor leaguers involved too, I'm not sure.
Last edited by ironman on Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chopper » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:33 am

How would this affect Benson's fantasy value?
He's been borderline ww or spot start guy in most of my leagues.
Seems that the Twins' undistilled stats aren't that much different from the Bucs. Support is similar and BAA pretty close, too. Does facing DH diminish the value of more wins?
Is Benson a must-own now if this trade happens?
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:34 am

please put a question mark in the thread title...
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:36 am

Chopper wrote:How would this affect Benson's fantasy value?
He's been borderline ww or spot start guy in most of my leagues.
Seems that the Twins' undistilled stats aren't that much different from the Bucs. Support is similar and BAA pretty close, too. Does facing DH diminish the value of more wins?
Is Benson a must-own now if this trade happens?

I personally don't think it would affect it much. Maybe slightly higher, but not much.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ironman » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:38 am

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html

BY TONI GINNETTI Staff Reporter

Even if the White Sox don't make another trade before the non-waiver deadline Saturday, their playoff fortunes could be affected by a deal nearing completion for the Minnesota Twins.

The Twins are expected to announce shortly a deal that will bring Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Kris Benson for first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz and probably a prospect. That would substantially boost the Twins' starting rotation -- as Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is well aware.

"I saw him pitch last year,'' said Guillen, who was a coach with the Florida Marlins. "He's not throwing the ball now the way he was, and there's a difference going from the National League to the American League. But if they get him, that's going to be a tough rotation.

"He's still a good pitcher. He's been hurt a few times, but he still throws hard. With him, Johan Santana, Brad Radke and Carlos Silva, that's a solid pitching staff.''

Several teams are trying to acquire Benson, but the Twins apparently are closest to meeting Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield's insistence on a front-line major-league player and a prospect.

Mientkiewicz, a fixture at first base for the Twins the last four seasons, has struggled this year with a sore left wrist that put him on the disabled list July 16-22. He's batting .238 with five homers and 23 RBI.

Mientkiewicz acknowledged Monday that the Twins have discussed the likely trade with him.

"I just hope if I do go somewhere else, this team stays focused,'' he said. "I don't want any hard feelings.''

The impressive debut of prospect Justin Morneau has helped push the deal. Morneau brought a nine-game hitting streak into Monday's game against the Sox, batting .333 in that span with three homers, three doubles and 10 RBI.

"He's having a big year,'' Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We stuck him at first and said, 'Just play and do what you do best.' He's picked it up and been a big boost to the middle of our lineup, and the guys around him are responding as well.''

Sox hitting coach Greg Walker saw Morneau last season while Walker was the hitting coach at Class AAA Charlotte.

"They just promoted him from Class AA, and he was 10-for-12 against Charlotte,'' Walker said. "He was tearing it up in Class AAA this year. He's not a surprise at all.''
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Shermars » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:00 pm

I am listenin to Pittsburgh Radio now (ESPN) and there is not a mention of a Beson trade. This is still in the rumor mill. Nothing official yet.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The_Idiot » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:09 pm

Shermars wrote:I am listenin to Pittsburgh Radio now (ESPN) and there is not a mention of a Beson trade. This is still in the rumor mill. Nothing official yet.

Man, I hope the Bucs can get more than THAT for Benson. Uggghhh. :-t
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby Shermars » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:13 pm

The_Idiot wrote:
Shermars wrote:I am listenin to Pittsburgh Radio now (ESPN) and there is not a mention of a Beson trade. This is still in the rumor mill. Nothing official yet.

I hear you...I do not think the Pirates need another guy to hit for average and little power. Not to mention he is now 30. I would hope this "prospect" is a high end prospect and Mientkiewicz is a toss in. Not the trade I expected.
I will not rest until I have you holding a coke, wearing your own shoe, playing a Sega game featuring you, while singing your own song in a new commercial starring you, broadcast during a super bowl game you are winning. Show me the $$$!!!
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:56 pm

The Pirates have so far turned down Wigginton+ from the Mets, Kotchman from the Angels and Howard from the Phillies but they are going to settle on Mientkiewicz?

Mientkiewicz may be part of a deal but I can't see him being the main cog in the trade unless the Twins are taking Kendall. I highly doubt the Twins would be willing to take on Kendall's contract.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shermars » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:57 pm

The_Idiot wrote:

I hear you...I do not think the Pirates need another guy to hit for average and little power. Not to mention he is now 30. I would hope this "prospect" is a high end prospect and Mientkiewicz is a toss in. Not the trade I expected.
Shermars
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers