Is San Juan ballpark really a hitters paradise? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is San Juan ballpark really a hitters paradise?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is San Juan ballpark really a hitters paradise?

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:18 pm

Before any games were played in San Juan, everyone thought that it would be like another Coors because of its small dimensions and that you should sit all pitchers playing there. However, the first five games have not really proven that to be true, with two 2-1 extra inning games and only once has a team scored 10 or more runs.

Should you alter your plans as to whether or not to use pitchers there given the results so far? Or should it still be considered an extremely antagonistic park for pitchers?
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MookieNJ » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:23 pm

I watched the first 4 games in San Juan (stupid Mets) and I'd have to say that it's pretty safe to start your pitcher there.

The dimensions are small, but the way the diamond is positioned in relation to the Trade Winds, the wind constantly blows in. Hard hit line drives will go out for home runs, but the pop flies that everyone figured would be hit out are getting caught up in the wind and falling in for outs.

Additionally, there is a LOT of foul ground, and a lot of balls can be caught that normally fall into the seats. This helps the pitcher just as much as the wind blowing in ...
-Mark

Please rate my team here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103801
MookieNJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:24 pm

Thanks, I was pondering whether or not to let Ortiz start on Thursday there.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MookieNJ » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:28 pm

I was a little worried at first, and kept Leiter out in a start on one of my teams (he did AWESOME, but I had already locked up pitching categories so it didn't kill me). I learned my lesson, and started Vazquez yesterday and he did pretty well, just had one bad inning.

San Juan is definitely no Coors Field :D.
-Mark

Please rate my team here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103801
MookieNJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DGroundhog » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:33 am

The only place I bench most pitchers is at Coors. The movement on the pitches is less there, so it's easier to hit. Other hitter's park like in TEX, HOU, KC, even San Juan I'd look at the pitching matchup, and if the team is on a streak (i.e. I hesitate to start SP's against SF right now). A good pitcher can overcome a hitter's park with good stuff. It is tougher to overcome pitches that don't break in Coors.

I will play hitters who play in those parks if it is feasable. I won't start a back-up IF over my stud Util player just because he is playing in San Juan, however.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Super GM » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:42 am

DGroundhog wrote:The only place I bench most pitchers is at Coors. The movement on the pitches is less there, so it's easier to hit. Other hitter's park like in TEX, HOU, KC, even San Juan I'd look at the pitching matchup, and if the team is on a streak (i.e. I hesitate to start SP's against SF right now). A good pitcher can overcome a hitter's park with good stuff. It is tougher to overcome pitches that don't break in Coors.

I will play hitters who play in those parks if it is feasable. I won't start a back-up IF over my stud Util player just because he is playing in San Juan, however.

Agreed. the only place I sit my pitchers is @ Coors.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers