Doug M. to the Pirates? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Doug M. to the Pirates?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doug M. to the Pirates?

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:33 am

That was one of the rumors "on the street" tonight...absolutely nothing official! The Twins told Mientkiewicz he's getting his trading papers before the deadline; they just didn't tell him where yet. Seems like a Benson for Mientkiewicz/minor leaguer or two could happen...

If it works out that way, I don't think it will help my Bucs all that much other than maybe in the defense and walks department. It doesn't look like he hits for all that much power which is something we really need.

For fantasy types, you never know...maybe he can bang a few more pitches off the Clemente wall for some doubles! ;-D

Justin Morneau may be worth a bigger look in the next few days...
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TDS-MN » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:31 am

Local radio morning shows were also mentioning that the Twins would maybe throw in Restovich as well. Decent power from the outfield, but has never really been able to break into the lineup. Know there's a few differnt teams interested in Benson, so it coud all change. . . .
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Registered_Guest » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:37 am

I think if the Twins want this deal done, they'll have to part with either Cuddyer or Kubel with Doug. Restovich's future IMO is as a fourth OF, nice power but won't hit for average.

Twins would be dumb IMO to part with Kubel -- they don't want to seem to give Cuddyer a shot (I don't even know that they would if they don't resign Koskie) so dealing him seems more likely of the two.

They just as soon get Kotchman than to take Doug and Restovich. Kotchman's already a better hit than Doug and almost as good with the glove (projecting to be a Gold Glove caliber 1B).
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

a

Postby JOEG » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:42 am

I'm listening to the radio here and they say that Pitt media is hinting at afternoon press conference with a deal with us. Doug is in it for sure. The rumor here is and I know this will recieve a lot of flack (don't kill the messenger) striaght up for Dougy..... this can't be true though and would assume Resto has to be thrown in and maybe a AA arm or something. About the Kotchmen thing, he might be more important in recieve some 8 foot tall lefty from Arizona.

Is http://www.annabenson.net old news? If so, I'm sure no one will mind me reposting this must see, to bad Dougs wife is hot also
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

z

Postby JOEG » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:45 am

Scott Baker is now in the deal reportably - for those who don't know him, he's in AA now and is our top pitching prospect now that Durbin is having an off year. Not sure if we do it then.....
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby warrick95 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:50 am

The Pirates would be stupid to turn down Kotchman for Benson, which is reportedly on the table. Casey Kotchman's potential is boundless.

Restovich=average outfielder...the Pirates have plenty. Wilson, Bay, Mackowiak, Redman...all of whom are just as good if not better than Restovich. Daryle Ward is good, too.

Mientkiwicz has the glove, but no bat whatsoever. They have Ward and Simon doing some strange PT split (as both are lefties), so this is beyond stupid, too. Mientkiewicz is lefty, too, so it really doesn't make sense. If they acquired Julio Franco or Eric Karros to be the righty part of the platoon, it'd make some sense...but this doesn't.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:52 am

warrick95 wrote:The Pirates would be stupid to turn down Kotchman for Benson, which is reportedly on the table. Casey Kotchman's potential is boundless.

Restovich=average outfielder...the Pirates have plenty. Wilson, Bay, Mackowiak, Redman...all of whom are just as good if not better than Restovich. Daryle Ward is good, too.

Mientkiwicz has the glove, but no bat whatsoever. They have Ward and Simon doing some strange PT split (as both are lefties), so this is beyond stupid, too. Mientkiewicz is lefty, too, so it really doesn't make sense. If they acquired Julio Franco or Eric Karros to be the righty part of the platoon, it'd make some sense...but this doesn't.

Agreed, Doug M. is better suited as solely a defensive replacement late in games. I would take Kotchman in a second.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby matmat » Tue Jul 27, 2004 3:16 pm

well, it might be doug + cuddyer.

so.

if it is cuddyer, would he play every day in pitt?
does that create an every-day opening for morneau? who'd benefit the most in the Min. lineup?

btw, Kotchman is a new incarnation of Mr Glass, so I am not convinced Pittsburgh wants him.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BobbyRoberto » Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:04 pm

As a long-suffering Pirates fan, I hope this doesn't happen. They don't need Mientkiewicz at all. He's on the decline and makes $2.8M this year and $3.75M next year. The Pirates should be looking elsewhere in moving Kris Benson.
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Postby thehat » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:41 am

matmat wrote:well, it might be doug + cuddyer.

so.

if it is cuddyer, would he play every day in pitt?
does that create an every-day opening for morneau? who'd benefit the most in the Min. lineup?

btw, Kotchman is a new incarnation of Mr Glass, so I am not convinced Pittsburgh wants him.

The Twins have finally committed to playing Morneau virtually everyday, so 1B is now his job to lose. I imagine he might still DH from time to time, but he's now gone past Mientkiewicz on the depth chart regardless of whether the good field, no hit 1B gets dealt.

Good observation on Kotchman. Very nice prospect, but his injury tendency is a legit concern.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers