Giambi Gonna Die??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi Gonna Die???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby matmat » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:59 pm

my read on this is :

he MIGHT have a parasite that CAN lead to this fatal condition. Even if he has the parasite it will not, necesserily, lead to the fatal desease.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jeffc_76 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:03 pm

I would even infer further that he almost certainly will NOT die from it. He's going to receive the absolute best medical treatment possible. He'll be fine. Whether or not he will play again this year isn't so certain though.

But then again, that's assuming this is what's wrong with him and not something else. The cancer / HIV tests scare me more than this parasite nonsense.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:06 pm

Dr.DooM wrote:Most of these cases occur in countries with poor sanitation but it could theoretically happen anywhere fecal-oral transmission is likely (deviant sexual practices).

jeffc_76 wrote:"Men who have sex with men can become infected......"

I'm not sure I like where this is headed...8-o
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby matmat » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:26 pm

excerpt from the link provided above:

Malnutrition, old age, pregnancy, use of steroids, malignancy (cancer), and alcoholism predispose a person to more severe disease, as does immunosuppression. Recent travel to a tropical region is a risk factor. In the US, amebiasis is most common among gay men and residents of institutions.

uh oh

i don't think he's pregnant.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll drown because you forgot to teach him to swim.
[url=http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html]Invaluable Fantasy Baseball Resource[/url]
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:31 pm

I was under the impression that both Giambi and Brown got it from Japan on their openning trip. I have no clue where I heard this, but if anyone can find anything about that, it'd be cool.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby pbeall100281 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:31 pm

blankman wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Super GM wrote:I read that too on ESPN. Kinda scary...So kids, if you lay off steroids, this won't happen to you. ;-D

Man that's a crazy comment. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure these parasites have nothing to do with steroids. It's fun to bash the Yankees but I don't think it's too cool to be making light of Giambi's situation. Just my $.02.

Agreed. The parasites have nothing to do with steriods or lack thereof. Lets all hope he's ok.

Are any of you acutally qualified to say that setriod use has no effect on Giambi's condition? Study the side effects and I bet my .02 cents that roid use can leave you mure suseptable to certian diseases/viruses
pbeall100281 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:33 pm

blankman wrote:I was under the impression that both Giambi and Brown got it from Japan on their openning trip. I have no clue where I heard this, but if anyone can find anything about that, it'd be cool.

Kevin Brown was the one who said they probably got it from Japan but the Yankees doctor said they were no more likely to get it in Japan than the U.S.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby blankman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:34 pm

pbeall100281 wrote:
blankman wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Super GM wrote:I read that too on ESPN. Kinda scary...So kids, if you lay off steroids, this won't happen to you. ;-D

Man that's a crazy comment. I'm no doctor but I'm pretty sure these parasites have nothing to do with steroids. It's fun to bash the Yankees but I don't think it's too cool to be making light of Giambi's situation. Just my $.02.

Agreed. The parasites have nothing to do with steriods or lack thereof. Lets all hope he's ok.

Are any of you acutally qualified to say that setriod use has no effect on Giambi's condition? Study the side effects and I bet my .02 cents that roid use can leave you mure suseptable to certian diseases/viruses

Perhaps, but Super was inferring that he got them directly from taking steriods. It is not even a definite fact that he did do them anyway (I think he did, but I don't KNOW he did).
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jeffc_76 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:35 pm

pbeall100281 wrote:Are any of you acutally qualified to say that setriod use has no effect on Giambi's condition? Study the side effects and I bet my .02 cents that roid use can leave you mure suseptable to certian diseases/viruses

It's quite a reach. Besides, if that were the case, where are all the other sick players? After all, something like 6-8% supposedly tested positive last year. Also, if he were on steroids, most would agree that he is almost certainly off them now with the extra scrutiny and attention surrounding it. I would argue that he would be more likely to get sick while ON the juice as opposed to after he got off it. While on it, he could have weakened liver function and other problems. Afterwards, the only real problem would potentially be getting his natural testosterone production back up if he cycled too hard.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jeffc_76 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:
blankman wrote:I was under the impression that both Giambi and Brown got it from Japan on their openning trip. I have no clue where I heard this, but if anyone can find anything about that, it'd be cool.

Kevin Brown was the one who said they probably got it from Japan but the Yankees doctor said they were no more likely to get it in Japan than the U.S.

I'm not a doctor but I still disagree. Granted, it's not like going to Haiti and bathing in the trenches, but it's still a foreign country. People who have been in a locale most of their lives can develop an immunity or resistance to impurities in the water, food, etc. It's entirely possible they picked it up over there from something that the local residents ingest without any problem.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers