Giambi Gonna Die??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi Gonna Die???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Ajax » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:33 pm

Super GM wrote:I read that too on ESPN. Kinda scary...So kids, if you lay off steroids, this won't happen to you. ;-D

Hey kids..here's some even better advice:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to
speak out and remove all doubt.".
- Abraham Lincoln
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dr.DooM » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:49 pm

Steroids suppresses the immune system and makes people more susceptible to infections, including parasites. Of course, normal people can get parasitic infections too so who knows whether Giambi's steroid use was a factor here. It certainly didn't help.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:56 pm

i doubt there is going to be anything wrong but still lets hope he gets ok cuz giambi is the only yankee i dont hate
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby jeffc_76 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:02 pm

I read the article and I have to say that I think ESPN is being a bit irresponsible in the way they are reporting this. You go to their main baseball page and it has a picture of Giambi with the words "Fatal Condition Suspected". I read that and the connotation to me is that he probably has something terminal. Then you read the article and it says that they're still testing for parasites only this time, they're looking for one that is harder to detect and can be fatal if left untreated. If he has it, they'll put him on some more powerful antibiotics and he'll most likely be fine.
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikcou » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:26 pm

Dr.DooM wrote:Steroids suppresses the immune system and makes people more susceptible to infections, including parasites. Of course, normal people can get parasitic infections too so who knows whether Giambi's steroid use was a factor here. It certainly didn't help.

I was just about to say that
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby KULCAT » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:37 pm

jeffc_76 wrote:I read the article and I have to say that I think ESPN is being a bit irresponsible in the way they are reporting this. You go to their main baseball page and it has a picture of Giambi with the words "Fatal Condition Suspected". I read that and the connotation to me is that he probably has something terminal. Then you read the article and it says that they're still testing for parasites only this time, they're looking for one that is harder to detect and can be fatal if left untreated. If he has it, they'll put him on some more powerful antibiotics and he'll most likely be fine.

Its ESPN, this guys are the Fox News network of sports. They blow everything out of proportion. The last one they tried was trying to pinpoint a racist tag on Larry Bird cause he said he´d like to see more good white players on the NBA. Didnt work. Or making Mark Cuban look bad cause he said the casual NBA fan might feel atracted to watching games appearing Kobe Bryant. Didnt work either. I detest Dan Patrick, the guy is as classy as Cristina Aguilera
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:39 pm

When they say possibly fatal condition, they are going for shock value. What they really mean is it would be fatal if he lived in Ethiopia where their medical system is garbage. He'll just be on some badass antibiotics and that will be the end of Mr parasite. Really wonder what and where him and Kevin Brown were eating that had such a parasite this bad.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cardinals15 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:40 pm

Any doctors have any background on this particular ailment Giambi may or may not have? I mean, potentially life threatening has a wide range of meaning, the flu is "potentially life threatening," strep throat is "potentially life threatening." if you don't treat it or have a certain reaction, are old etc. Once they know if he has it or does not have it, what is the percentage recovery or prognosis? I'm thinking positive I guess, I think once they know what it is, they can treat it and he'll be fine.
cardinals15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jeffc_76 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:50 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:When they say possibly fatal condition, they are going for shock value. What they really mean is it would be fatal if he lived in Ethiopia where their medical system is garbage. He'll just be on some badass antibiotics and that will be the end of Mr parasite. Really wonder what and where him and Kevin Brown were eating that had such a parasite this bad.

Don't like posting ammunition against my boys but someone would have eventually anyway. If you do a Google search you will see among the various ways of contracting it:

"Men who have sex with men can become infected......"
jeffc_76
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dr.DooM » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:56 pm

cardinals15 wrote:Any doctors have any background on this particular ailment Giambi may or may not have? I mean, potentially life threatening has a wide range of meaning, the flu is "potentially life threatening," strep throat is "potentially life threatening." if you don't treat it or have a certain reaction, are old etc. Once they know if he has it or does not have it, what is the percentage recovery or prognosis? I'm thinking positive I guess, I think once they know what it is, they can treat it and he'll be fine.

Well, I usually specialize in plotting the demise of Reed Richards, I can dust off one of my old medical textbooks to answer your question.

It seems that they are concerned with testing for Amebiasis, which is caused by the protozoon Entamoeba Histolytica. It's the third leading cause of death from parasites after Malaria and schistosomiasis. I believe most references site 100,000 deaths per 50 million infections every year. Most of these cases occur in countries with poor sanitation but it could theoretically happen anywhere fecal-oral transmission is likely (deviant sexual practices). Here is a link that has a nice description of the disease with some pictures.
Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
Dr.DooM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers