trade deadline looming - new closers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

trade deadline looming - new closers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade deadline looming - new closers?

Postby spamnon » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:44 pm

With the trade deadline looming around the corner, don't you all think it's time to pick up some guys who may end up closing for the rest of the year?

Bal - With Julio gone, BJ Ryan will be the man. Not sure why he might still be available. He is a nasty reliever (left handed version of pre-Closer Lidge). Look at that Ks/9 inng.

Sea - When Everyday Eddie leaves, are we looking at Hasegawa who last year was successful as a closer, but this year has been awful as a setup man. Or should we expect Rafael Soriano to be healthy enough to be closing for the mariners?

Det - If Urbina is gone, is this German's job or Walker's? Not really sure about this one.

Pitt - Mesa may be shown the door, and Salmon Torres who has been solid as a MR should step into the role with no problem.

Phil - Is Wagner hurt enough, to warrant picking up Worrell? I guess we find out tomorrow if Wags is going to the DL or not.

San Fran - What's going on here? I know Alou has lost some confidence in Herges, but Christensen isn't any better. Is the NL FRod ready to take over?

Now speaking of relief, any of these MRs worthy of a spot on a fantasy team?

Ryan Madson, PHI
Scott Linebrink, SD
Luis Ayala, MON
Ray King, STL
JC Romero, MIN

Am I missing anyone else who might be useful on your fantasy squad? Assuming guys like Gordon, Marte, Mota, Otsuka, etc. have been picked up.
spamnon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sfgfan4life » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:50 pm

I don't know about other teams closer situations, but I can assure you that Felix will not be the closer in SF. They will either aquire one through a trade or they will do a committe type of a thing. With Brower getting most of the chances. Occasionallly, if there are a couple lefties due up, Eyre would be the first guy they go to. If he's been used they would go to Christionsen who has actually done well and gotten out of big jams in his save chances.
sfgfan4life
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:58 pm

SI.com is reporting that Felix Rodriguez will be "helping out" in the closer role as needed. He might even get an opp or two this week. But the rumor I've heard is that Julio will go to SF to close and BJ Ryan will take over in BALT. Who knows.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:55 pm

I heard that Pitt. isn't interested at all in trading away Mesa. I mean he signed a minor league contract wth them andis performing far better than themoney they are paying him. Why would they want to trade him? He's only getting paid $800,000!!! Sure, he's old, but for the little money he is getting, no biggy ifhe combuts later this season or next.

Pirates: Mesa not on the trading block

The News
The trade deadline is looming and many teams are looking for bullpen help, but the Pirates do not intend to trade closer Jose Mesa. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mesa will stay with the Pirates unless a team overwhelms them with an offer. "A closer is one of the most important pieces on a team. When you lose games you're supposed to win, that hurts," Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon said. "He's as tough as they come."
Our View
The Bucs are in last place, 14 games out, and are going nowhere this season, but Mesa does not cost them a lot of money, he's doing a great job, and he wants to stay. Kris Benson will be traded, but a Mesa deal would be surprising.
Fanball.com
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 134)

Postby Hbj79 » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:50 am

I'm pretty sure someone will "overwhelm" Pittsburgh. It sounds like a negotiating ploy to me. They won't give him away for free but if they can get a legit prospect they might as well move him. It seems like all the teams who have pitchers to move are playing hardball but you can be pretty sure that come deadline day most rumoured pitchers will be moved.

If Baltimore can't deal Julio will he be moved / released in the off season?
An unemployed jester is nobody's fool.

[b]25[/b]
Hbj79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers