Sheets or Santana for the rest of the year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets or Santana for the rest of the year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Philly22 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:58 pm

FatGuyWithAMullet wrote:Sheets actually regressed last year when compared to 2002, he had a worse ERA and had less K's, but he did improve upon his WHIP. You obviously haven't been following him at all.

Well you obviously haven't followed him either because his stats actually show a marked improvement over the last three years. His k/bb ratio has gone from 2.43/3.65/7.04 and his WHIP has been fantastic as a result. His batting average against has continually fallen, a rise in his ERA is irrelevant. A few bad starts last year when his back when out towards the end don't mean anything more then an injury problem that he has by all reports "got over."

Sheets = Real Deal.
Philly22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:12 pm

speaking of Sheets, i think the Brewers have more games against the Cards, Cubs, Stros after the AS break... :-? .. but i may be wrong. anyone have the time to check this out ?...

and also before taking their careers apart i think at the very basic fantasy ball level you have to take into consideration that Santana's K rate is phenominal and he'll most prolly give you more K's than Sheets and is on a team that "supposed" to win more.

and puhhhleaze Sheets is not a flash in the pan. hes prolly not exactly this good but he started attacking the strike zone more and gained better command of his pitches and that combined with the fact that his health is a lot better now has taken him where he is today.

in fact, calling last season a "regression" cracks me up. :-b

sincere advice to noobies... unless the diff in era is significant enough, DONT go by purely era in judging a pitcher.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:14 pm

Is a full 2 run increase in career first and 2nd half (3.01 to 5.01) a big enough difference. Im not expecting Sheets to be that bad but I think Santana will be better.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:35 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Is a full 2 run increase in career first and 2nd half (3.01 to 5.01) a big enough difference. Im not expecting Sheets to be that bad but I think Santana will be better.

i was refering to fatguy's post when he said that Sheets "regressed" last year just cos his era was .3 higher or something.

yep, Sheets has shown a "trend" but to be honest, Sheets is almost a diff pitcher now since his health is not bothering him. he wont be better in the second half but i dont think he'll blow up or something.

still go with Santana tho. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:11 am

I'm going to go against the grain and say that Santana is the riskier of the two but with the bigger upside. Santana has shown in the past that he can absolutely dominate, but its usually a month of dominating followed by a month of mediocrity. Sheets has been very consistant this year, his velocity is up, he's got one of the best pitching coaches in baseball around him and he developed another pitch, I just don't see him regressing that much(though he wont' keep up the stats he has now either). If you are lucky and Santana doesn't have his typical mediocre month coming up then Santana will be the better pitcher. Santana is also on the better team, might give him the nudge because of that.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:26 am

i own both in a couple of my leagues and basically would not trade either one of them...But if i had to trade one of em because of a fluke injury to one of my offensive stars or something i would trade santana for 2 reasons.....

1... santanas name hold higher value than sheets does at this time..
2...sheets imo has been more consistent all year than santana...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:49 am

Santana
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)

Postby smelson » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:52 am

Yeah, all this talk about how Sheets isn't as good as he is pitching based on his past numbers are making me mad. It's called a breakout season. There is no way a guy can pitch this good this consistently and not be that great. Everyone has breakout seasons, and Sheets was primed to have one.

But, as far as the question goes, I would rather have Santana, based on the fact that he is averaging like 10 or 11 k's per start with like a .50 whip and 1.50 ERA in his last 10 or so starts. Something like that. I just know that he's been sick.

But, that doesn't mean Sheets isn't as good as he is pitching right now.

I own both in two leagues, so I'm not complaining :-)
smelson
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers