Sheets or Santana for the rest of the year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets or Santana for the rest of the year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:33 pm

thetongueofire wrote:i dont think theres a significant chance that Sheets will return to his old self barring something bizzare like a serious injury or whatever.. but id also go with Santana. there was a pretty large thread 'bout this around the AS break and people tried to dissect their short careers and stuff. if youre trying to decide you can take a look at that if you wany to. and i think i posted this in that thread but Santana's ratios and K rate has actually improved over last year. Jackal pointed out that he was kinda unlucky with the HR's he giving up maybe or something else...

i'll try to search and see if i can dig up the thread. :-)

Yeah I remember that thread...the overwhelming majority voted for Santana. I think it was called Santana vs. Sheets...or something like that.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:39 pm

slomo007 wrote:
thetongueofire wrote:i dont think theres a significant chance that Sheets will return to his old self barring something bizzare like a serious injury or whatever.. but id also go with Santana. there was a pretty large thread 'bout this around the AS break and people tried to dissect their short careers and stuff. if youre trying to decide you can take a look at that if you wany to. and i think i posted this in that thread but Santana's ratios and K rate has actually improved over last year. Jackal pointed out that he was kinda unlucky with the HR's he giving up maybe or something else...

i'll try to search and see if i can dig up the thread. :-)

Yeah I remember that thread...the overwhelming majority voted for Santana. I think it was called Santana vs. Sheets...or something like that.

yep.. here it is. "Santana vs. Sheets"

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76918&highlight=
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biju » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:42 pm

shortsavage wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
blankman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Santana, no contest.

Care to elaborate? I don't see the difference being monumental as you say.

I own both, so I'm just sticking with both ;-D

It's simple really....Santana has the past stats to back up his performace recently. Sheets doesn't. I'm not saying Sheets won't continue pitching well, but why take the chance that he will return to his prior self when you can practically be assured of a stud in Santana?

It's all about their risk.

Lol, Santana first began starting in the second half of last season. His numbers were excellent, but he did not match them for the first quarter of this season. So, he has been good for about 3/4 of a season. Sheets on the other hand has been getting better since he began in 2001 ;-) . If you still think that Sheets is a risky, you have not been following him at all.

You're better than this slomo.

That's actually incorrect. He spot started as far back as 2000, but didn't start getting regular starts until late 2002. He was slated to be in the starting rotation at the beginning of last year but Minnesota believed at the time he was more valuable as a long middle reliever. If you remember, his starts up until this year rarely went past 5 or 6 innings so I don't necessarily blame them, but he proved them wrong.

This year however he can go deep into games by trying to induce some ground balls instead of striking everyone out (which he still does).

For the record, I still say Santana but it's not by much. Sheets was bound to start looking like this as well but I do believe he's pitching slightly above his ability (however I don't have much to prove that except his past record).
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:43 pm

Santana. I forsee a big 2nd half letdown for Sheets, based on his career 2nd half. Seems like he just wears out.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby FatGuyWithAMullet » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:48 pm

shortsavage wrote:
slomo007 wrote:
blankman wrote:
slomo007 wrote:Santana, no contest.

Care to elaborate? I don't see the difference being monumental as you say.

I own both, so I'm just sticking with both ;-D

It's simple really....Santana has the past stats to back up his performace recently. Sheets doesn't. I'm not saying Sheets won't continue pitching well, but why take the chance that he will return to his prior self when you can practically be assured of a stud in Santana?

It's all about their risk.

Lol, Santana first began starting in the second half of last season. His numbers were excellent, but he did not match them for the first quarter of this season. So, he has been good for about 3/4 of a season. Sheets on the other hand has been getting better since he began in 2001 ;-) . If you still think that Sheets is a risky, you have not been following him at all.

You're better than this slomo.

Why are you so convinced about Sheets?

He never put up numbers anywhere NEAR what he's doing this season.

Sheets actually regressed last year when compared to 2002, he had a worse ERA and had less K's, but he did improve upon his WHIP. You obviously haven't been following him at all.
FatGuyWithAMullet
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:50 pm

Holy crap. I actually had the same opinion on something as fatmullet guy. Does this make me an idiot too?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:52 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Holy crap. I actually had the same opinion on something as fatmullet guy. Does this make me an idiot too?

Haha, this might also be the first time you and I have agreed on something CubsFan. I think hell is getting a little colder today.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:53 pm

Heh I forgot about that too. Oh man, somethings screwy. Lets talk about Zambrano and fix this ;-) .
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:53 pm

In terms of innings pitched, Sheets has averaged about 93 more than Santana over the last three years. Pitching so many fewer innings, it is not a given that Santana will have the strength to keep going deep into games as the season progresses. He has never topped 200 innings, something that Sheets has done for the last two seasons.

That said, I consider them both established. However, it is not logically sound to say that Santana is more established. He has less experience as a starter. Thus, the point that slomo007 is making in this thread and ajgnydc722 as well as LBJackal were making in the other is clearly a fallacy.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby shortsavage » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:57 pm

Hehe, I don't agree with FatGuyWithAMullet. I have been watching Sheets pitch live for about the last month. Also watching Schmidt pitch regularly, their mound presence as well as statistics are quite comparable. LIGHTS OUT!

Both Sheets and Schmidt will be top vote getters in for this year's Cy-Young award.
Last edited by shortsavage on Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers