100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi Speculation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giambi Speculation

Postby Pedro » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:57 pm

Ahem.

MedicineNet.com: http://www.medicinenet.com/Steroid_Withdrawal/article.htm

Steroid withdrawal symptoms can mimic many other medical problems. Weakness, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea (which can lead to fluid and electrolyte abnormalities), and abdominal pain are common. Blood pressure can become too low, leading to dizziness or fainting. Blood sugar levels may drop. Women also may note menstrual changes. Less often, joint pain, muscle aches, fever, mental changes, or elevations of calcium may be noted. Decrease in gastrointestinal contractions can occur, leading to dilation of the intestine (ileus).

Steroid use cannot be stopped abruptly; tapering the drug gives the adrenal glands time to return to their normal patterns of secretion.

Tapering may not completely prevent withdrawal symptoms; steroid withdrawal may involve many factors, including a true physiological dependence on corticosteroids.
Last edited by Pedro on Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]"Who's Karim Garcia? I have no respect for Karim Garcia. I have no respect for that guy. I don't have anything to prove to that guy. He needs to be forcing himself to come up to where I am, to my level."[/i]
Pedro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheAbreu » Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:59 pm

Yeah, I have no doubt Giambi used steroids. He's turned into a big bust, and I wish we never signed him
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmeesig » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:16 pm

That was a well-researched post you gave about the signs and symptoms of steroid withdrawl. Unfortunately, you picked the wrong kind of steroid.

There are 2 types of steroids. The class you wrote about are the corticosteroids. Millions of people take this type every year. If you've ever hurt your back and had to take a Medrol dosepak or gave your child Pediapred for croup, those were steroids.

Athletes take anabolic steroids. There are no withdrawl symptoms like you describe. The worst that will happen when they stop them are muscle shrinkage and possible fatigue and agitation immediately after stopping.

So, to think a steroid is a steroid is a steroid is wrong. Jason's symptoms are not "classic" steroid withdrawl, nor "proof" he was taking steroids.

Again, good post, just wrong information.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmeesig » Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:42 pm

Also, I'd just like to point out that the other 'culprits' in terms of accusations of steroid use have not suffered similar health problems while having had the same incentive to stop steroids this past winter. The usual suspects like Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Gary Sheffield and Bret Boone have been largely healthy this season.

So while Sammy was on the DL with back spasms, Gary has had shoulder problems and Bret Boone has been slumping, none of them have exhibited any of the symptoms which 'Pedro' feels are the smoking gun for steroid users. This means that either they haven't stopped using steroids or, if they were involved in the same alleged use as Giambi, somehow came out magically withdrawal free.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers