What's It Gonna Be...Buyers or Sellers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

What's It Gonna Be...Buyers or Sellers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's It Gonna Be...Buyers or Sellers

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:24 pm

What can I say...we're just playing like crap. The bullpen can't hold on to a lead for the life of them, the offense can't take advantage of great run scoring oppurtunities, and the staff isn't getting any younger. Oh yeah, we also have the most errors in the league.

So with the trade deadline looming, what do the Mets do? Do they still go for an arm or do they call it quits? They're currently 2 games under in a tight NL East race. Should they risk giving up prospects for the future, not even knowing if they have what it takes to win the division or what? Needless to say, I'm damn frustrated. Of course there are some bright spots, i.e. David Wright, Wiggy, Hidalgo, Kaz, and the return of Reyes but there are just too many holes.

What's a Met fan (and Jim Duquette) to do....
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:36 pm

Well J.D. has been stuck between a rock and hard place ever since the Mets swept the Yankmes and then kept on rolling. You really have to give him credit for keeping his head on straight with this balancing act. Can you imagine if Steve Phillips was still GM. Guarantee David Wright would be playing in a K.C. uniform right now. I have faith that J.D. will stick with the three-year plan and this current slump is just going to make it that much easier.

If I was in charge we would be SELLERS.

I would play Leiter/Glavine between the Yankmes and the Red Sox in order to rape one of them. Preferably the Red Sox because they have a lot more talent. I would also trade off almost all of our old relief pitching and Grandpa Franco would be in the front office filing paperwork. :-D

I'd also get Hidalgo's construct renegotiated (if possible) prior to the end of the season!
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:22 am

God, I hope we're sellers at this point. I can handle another sub .500 season. What I can't handle is seeing our prospects playing well for other teams in a few years while we're still at .500.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rico The Retard » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:44 pm

thats y im not a mets fan
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:12 pm

Rico The Retard wrote:thats y im not a mets fan

Buckner, is that you? :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:34 pm

I guess the Mets just gave us an illusion of being in a pennant race but now you have to face the facts and realize that this is not a championship caliber team. We have some strong points on this team and the holes need to be address prior to next season. We have a great young infield already and maybe we can sign some good strikeout pitchers in the offseason. We may have a very good team ERA but it doesnt help if they can only get into the 5th or 6th inning. It also doesn't help that there is no dominant pitcher on the team who can get the strikeout in a tight spot.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:04 pm

According to articles today in the online editions of Newsday and the Daily News, J.D. is quoted as saying that the Mets will not be selling off any of their veterans prior to the trade deadline.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Rirruto » Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:16 pm

That's good news. He'd be committing suicide (figuratively). New York fans don't respond well to quitters, especially in the middle of the season. They rather see an average team then a bottom of the barrel team.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:32 pm

well in the end the mets were buyers, when they should have been sellers last july... piazza would have brought much more july 2004 than he will july 2005 if the mets are out of the race by then.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:46 pm

Not sure Piazza would have fetched much last year considering the situation.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Return to New York Mets