Danny Graves as a starter deemed a failure.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Cincinnati Reds

Danny Graves as a starter deemed a failure....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Danny Graves as a starter deemed a failure....

Postby cincyreds » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:59 pm

in my opinion.

I thought that this was a mistake from the beginning. The Reds are asking to give the kid some arm injury.

Today against the Cubs he did not pitch well. He does not have the stamina to be a starter.

If my beloved Reds had 3 quality starters they would contend, but they don't. Shut, we don't even have one.

:~(
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:38 pm

I'm not sure converting him was a complete mistake, but I have to agree that today's outing was simply ugly. Yikes! :-o
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chichpsalm » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:22 pm

Maybe if we didn't have $9,000,000 in the form of a 39 year-old shortstop sitting on the DL we could afford a Kevin Millwood or Bartolo Colon to go with Wilson and Dempster.
Did you know there are no such things as "white" or "black" people?

http://onehumanrace.com/
chichpsalm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chaindog35 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:44 am

That 9,000,000 dollars was demanded by the Cincy fans and would have led to Bowden's lynching had he not signed Larkin. If you want to say a mistake was made, the Griffey trade you can argue, but paying Larkin for his years of service is an honorable thing in today's age of baseball as a business.
chaindog35
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:17 pm

I agree that at the time, a lot of people in Cincy wanted Larkin to stay. The problem is, we already paid Larkin for his years of service. That's what his salary was for in the years he was actually providing a service to the Reds.

Friendliness: %

Postby slowkidz » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:11 pm

At this point, Griffey and Larkin should both go and make room for some players who actually want to play!!!!

Not to mention some good pitching!! There is too much $$ tied up in these two babies and it is obviously hurting more than club morale at this time!!

Plus, I find it just a lil suspicious that after a day or two of Griffey being on the DL, Larkin goes on it with a "Strained Muscle". Who else thinks Griffey called him up and said "Hey! I'm getting paid to play golf...What are you doing?"

:-t
beep....beep
slowkidz
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ntremain23 » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:13 am

LoL, I agree that the money tied up in them 2 is wasted money. But you have to look at both sides of the arguement, when they are both playing and completely healthy you get one of the best hitters of our generation, and a great team leader. I would say SOME money should be tied up in these two, but certainly not the amount they have in em. Reds have certainly made some bad managerial decisions in the past couple of years. I have to say Shane Reynolds would have been a decent pickup, after he was cut by the Astros.
N Tremain
ntremain23

Postby CRedsFan » Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:39 am

chaindog35 wrote:That 9,000,000 dollars was demanded by the Cincy fans and would have led to Bowden's lynching had he not signed Larkin. If you want to say a mistake was made, the Griffey trade you can argue, but paying Larkin for his years of service is an honorable thing in today's age of baseball as a business.

I know this was a while back, but I just read this for the first time and had to say "well said" Larkin is my favorite player, and I would have been one of the fans upset with Bowden, but most are anyway, LOL
CRedsFan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Cincinnati Reds