Santana rest of the way? good topic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Santana rest of the way? good topic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Santana rest of the way? good topic

Postby GatorLand » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:35 am

Santana has been absolutely awesome the last couple of months but what do you guys think is in store?

His wins current freakish run has been against (NYM, MON, MIL, MIL, CWS, KAN, DET, KAN, TAM) at least this seems to be when he turned everything around.

Now take a look at his opponents the rest of the way (CWS, ANA, OAK, @CLE, NYY, @TEX, @ANA, KC, @DET, CWS, @CWS, @CLE, possibly @NYY).

Is this really a reason to maybe sell high? Or just avoid the panic and realize that he rules and should start without question?
GatorLand
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:45 am

Selling high applies to a guy who is performing way above his norm. While Santana may not stay this hot, he is one of the premier fantasy pitchers. K Rates like his aren't readily available. Leave him be, unless someone offers you something ridiculous like Pujols.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby oddmanout7 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:57 am

I'd try to shop him for a stud (Beltran, Abreu, Pujols, Vlad) see what people are willing to give up. If you can't get a stud, then keep him.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GatorLand » Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:57 am

I agree, and I've been a huge fan for a couple of years now (3rd year I've had him on my fantasy squads).

But if you could boost another area (like Tejada at SS) thinking that Santana couldn't possibly pitch this well given his upcoming schedule, would that be something to consider?

Santana is just filthy (absolutely one of my favorite pithers the last 3 years), could be that he just needed to relax and get his stuff together. Only thing that bothers me is the HR's that he gives up. The teams coming up might make him pay for that.

Just a thought
GatorLand
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Precise » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:47 am

santana is a bonafied stud and we are seeing an ace develop before our eyes BUT against those teams, wins will be few.

yes he will strike out a lot of people, yes he will pitch well too, but he wont win as many games as he should. He will be the AL's Oliver Perez (i'm just talking stat-wise). so you would be out of your mind to NOT trade him for somebody like tejada.
Precise
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:19 am

He has shown flashes of brilliance his entire career but they are generally followed by periods of mediocrity. Maybe this is the year he finally is great the rest of the season, who knows.

Example last August he had a 1.07 ERA, 0.95 WHIP. Then next month was 4.85 ERA, 1.31 WHIP. I'm guessing its mostly control problems. Regardless of how he does he'll get a lot of K's so he's valuable.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby titanut » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:13 am

Last week I traded B Giles/C Wilson for him. Left me with Varitek
and Vlad, R Winn, Pierre, Nevin and D Young in OF. Felt like it was
a fair trade.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:31 am

I don't expect Johan to fade away. He has been sensational, racking up Ks all the time. Everyone knew he had the potential and a promising future and he is delivering the production that he had inside of him. He should keep this up, and I think he'll do it for years to come. I consider him one of the best pitchers in the league right now and only worth trading for a true stud.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers