tom glavine - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

tom glavine

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

tom glavine

Postby WorldDomination » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:47 pm

i've been trying to strenthen my hitting by trading away some pitching...if i trade away an ace (pedro) for glavine and a good hitter, what are the chances that glavine will keep pitching as he does? (because supposedly pedro always gets hurt during the summer right?)
WorldDomination
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:50 pm

before it seemed like the mets had good pitching and no hitting in the first half of the season...

and now it seems like they have been hitting (hildago, matsui, reyes), and speed.....

i think that he will eventuallly get solid run support....

but i am a braves fan, so what do i know....

:-?
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:51 pm

It all depends on the type of hitter you're getting in return. Pedro, while he might get injured AGAIN, is gonna be lights out this summer. He always is. Conversely, there's no way Glavine can keep up his current pace. He should keep his ERA under 3.50 and his WHIP under 1.30, but I wouldn't expect the All-Star #'s he put up during the first half.

Take my advice for what it's worth -- I've got both Pedro and Glavine on my team.

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:27 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:It all depends on the type of hitter you're getting in return. Pedro, while he might get injured AGAIN, is gonna be lights out this summer. He always is. Conversely, there's no way Glavine can keep up his current pace. He should keep his ERA under 3.50 and his WHIP under 1.30, but I wouldn't expect the All-Star #'s he put up during the first half.

Take my advice for what it's worth -- I've got both Pedro and Glavine on my team.

;-D

au contrer (or however you spell it... damn french and it's extra letters and silent stuf...), good sir. maybe it's just because i've seen too many awsome performances by glavine, but i'd say he'll do just fine the rest of the way. era < 3, whip < 1.15

and with the bats coming around, maybe he'll even get some wins!
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:21 am

George_Foreman wrote:
beltrans_boy wrote:It all depends on the type of hitter you're getting in return. Pedro, while he might get injured AGAIN, is gonna be lights out this summer. He always is. Conversely, there's no way Glavine can keep up his current pace. He should keep his ERA under 3.50 and his WHIP under 1.30, but I wouldn't expect the All-Star #'s he put up during the first half.

;-D

au contrer (or however you spell it... damn french and it's extra letters and silent stuf...), good sir. maybe it's just because i've seen too many awsome performances by glavine, but i'd say he'll do just fine the rest of the way. era < 3, whip < 1.15

and with the bats coming around, maybe he'll even get some wins!

Sub-3.00 ERA??! Don't get me wrong, I'd love it, but it's just not gonna happen. He's already been showing some signs of going downhill in the 2nd half. There's no way he'll have a sub-3.00 ERA in the 2nd half. He's just too old. A 162-game season is gonna wear him down near the end.

As long as he produces reasonable numbers, stays healthy and wins a few games, I'll be happy. I'm gonna say right now that his 2nd half ERA wont be below 3.50.

Then again, he is Tom Glavine...and future HOFers tend to buck the trend, so who knows?

8-o
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:40 pm

you're talking about age in a year when two 40-somethings are going for cy youngs? sorry, sir, but only month of the year glavine fails to perform is october :~(
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers