Red Sox Fans -- Morons - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Red Sox Fans -- Morons

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Red Sox Fans -- Morons

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:01 pm

I was born and bred in Boston. I bleed Red for the Sox, add white and blue for the Pats, and green for the Celts. Like any bright Bostonian, I've given up on the Bruins until they get new ownership.

I'm 32. The '75 Series is before my memory, but I remember Bucky F**king Dent all too well. I think the Sports Guy is freaking brilliant. I could go on and on about Henderson, Buckner, etc. and my qualifications as a "die-hard Boston sports fan" but point taken...

...and I have never, ever, EVER been so damn embarrassed as I was the other night when Pedro, PEDRO, was booed leaving the mound after getting shelled in the home opener on Saturday. I have never seen such a disgraceful act by Boston sports fans.

Now, granted, it wasn't the whole ballpark or anything. Just a "significant minority of morons". Still, utterly and completely, unforgiveably ignorant.

In my 25+ years of sports memory, there are two, and only two Boston players who deserve, essentially, deification. Larry Bird and Pedro Martinez. Clemens was great in his time, but he was never, ever as good, never as exciting, never as utterly dominant as Pedro was from '98-00. He never gave us a moment like striking out 17 Yankees in a one-hitter at Yankee Stadium (ya, 20K's is great, but they were horrible, horrible teams, not the defending World Champions), and he sure as hell never gave us a moment like trotting out from the bullpen, fighting through injury, to shut down a mighty Indians' lineup in the playoffs. John Hannah may have been the best guard ever, but c'mon, he was a guard. Hard to get excited. Orr was before my time as well, of course. Bourque was phenenomenal, but not Gretzky or Orr phenomenal.

We recently had a thread where I was involved in bashing the Atlanta Braves fans for failing to show up and adequately support what has been, essentially a dynasty. I withdraw my comments. Some of my fellow Bostonians recently cost me the right to say anything...

The best thing I ever saw Boston sports fans do was in 1983, when the hated '76ers defeated the Celtics, at Boston Garden, in I believe Game 6 of the Eastern Conference series to win the series and the right to face the Lakers in the Championships (the Lakers had already won the West). That final game was a blowout, the Celts pretty much got killed. The last two or three minutes of the game, the Boston Garden rocked, rocked with the thunderous chant of "BEAT L.A.". I remember the Philly players gushing about Boston sports fans after that game. Now I've seen the flip side of that coin, and it's not a good feeling to say the least.

Rant over. Exit soapbox. I waited 2 days to cool down, but still had to vent about this. Just awful. Makes me want to puke.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rapps5 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:56 pm

I totally agree Amnorix. I too could go on in a huge post like you did about this sox fan disgrace, but I dont have sufficient time for stuff like that. By the way, the playoff game against the Indians where Pedro dominated from the bullpen, is probably my fondest baseball memory of the last 15 years...
Rapps5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:08 pm

The amazing thing was when Pedro came out of the bullpen, and you could just FEEL the Tribe and their fans completely deflate. And he was injured for chrissake. One of the gutsiest sports performances ever.

That and the 17 K game against the Yanks at Yankee stadium were two of the best baseball moments I can remember, about tied with Henderson's shot. I'd put Pedro's performance #1 though.

Anyway, 'nuf said.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dazedncnfz » Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:15 am

As a fellow bostonian I feel your disgrace with the booing of Pedro. He is one the few that should never get booed....no matter where he pitches...yes that includes yankee stadium, they don't have to like him but they damn better sure respect him. I do have to disagree with your ranking Pedros 17ks over Hendersons shot....I think Henderson shot was the greatest monent in my time (born in 75) man I damn near jumped throught the roof when hit hit that HR!!!...once again.....nuff said.
Dazedncnfz
College Coach
College Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby metsfan1969 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:22 pm

I am a little older than you guys (cough, cough) and also a NY fan obviously, but I will tell you that I have never, ever seen a Boston baseball moment as I did when Fisk hit his game 6 HR. I was 15 years old in 1975 and baseball was my world. I am 42 now and baseball is still right up there with family. I still get chills when I replay that scene in my mind as I watched all those years ago. Incidentally, for me the second best baseball moment involves Bill Buckner.....but that's better left for another time :-] .

Don't be embarassed by fan reaction Amnorix. It happens in the best cities to the best players. From L.A. to N.Y. you will always get a certain percentage of the fans that have absolutely no class whatsoever. Heck, take Chicago for example. They don't just boo there anymore. There is a bigger issue there somewhere if we could just locate it under all that money......... :-)

BTW, I still think Bill Lee was right........ :*)
Well Look who has come to the cafe, It's Mr. Met!
metsfan1969

Cafe Writer

Return to General Talk