Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Benitez

Postby Doc » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:42 pm

Is he done?
Doc

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:47 pm

Put a fork in him! IMO i wouldnt touch him. I was offered him before the season started and said no thx then. And i'd especially say no thx now. I just dont see how a guy that throws hard yes.. but has little movement on his fastball can stay a solid closer. If i had him i'd be packaging a deal together to get rid of him for Foulke. Who i think could be one of the best this year.
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Comp625 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:52 pm

^^ Bitter Braves Fan ^^ ;-)

In all seriousness, Benetiz always seems to blow important games (in real life). Fantasy wise though, he still puts up really good stats. It's only been 2 weeks people - no need to panic (yet).
Comp625
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:15 pm

I just dont see how a guy that throws hard yes.. but has little movement on his fastball can stay a solid closer. If i had him i'd be packaging a deal together to get rid of him for Foulke.

Foulke also fits into the "Throws hard with no movement on his pitches" mold. Joe Morgan stated this on Wednesday Night baseball at one point last year. He is however more effective. Benitez has always been a choker. He gave up the famous homerun that was caught by the kid while still in play when he was with baltimore in the playoffs. He also gave up the famous Albert Belle grand slam in the playoffs against Cleveland (or was that Mesa hmmmm). I hope he will at one point be stricken with John Rocker type ineffectiveness and never recover because I've never liked him. Can't argue with his stats though.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:24 pm

No, he's not done. He's been too good for too long. He falls into the category with all the other good and great pitchers who have been terrible, but will rebound.
That being said, if the Mets fall out of the race, I wouldn't be surprised to see him traded to a contending team.
Hank
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:25 pm

I was thinking of Koch not foulke. My bad
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Super GM » Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:58 pm

I think he IS done. And so are the Mets. I don''t think the Mets will ever be able to get it together...They buy a lot of star players, that's true. But as we all know...star players themselves don't necessarily make a winning team. I think the Mets have proven that for the last two years. They don't think about the players being "compatible". They have Piazza, Alomar, Floyd, Burnitz, Vaughn...They're all potential 30 HR threats...But their problem is that they can't play together. That's why the Mets are done. And if the Mets are done, so is Benitez!
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jnr98 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:12 pm

Just because I thoroughly enjoy seeing Benitez blow games... I present to you, from ESPN's NYY fantasy Correspondent:

THANKS ARMANDO
No matter what his own fans say about him, Armando Benitez never fails to get the job done in my book. After watching Jorge Posada's putrid defense cost the Yankees a game in the ninth inning yesterday, I turned to watch the JV game - hoping that my man Armando could come through for me again. Benitez did his job, blowing his third save in 4 tries and turning my frown upside-down! I had soon forgotten about the Yanks' loss, all thanks to my man Armando. I can only hope that he does not start stuffing the ball in one of his nostrils and sneezing it up to the plate, he would be unstoppable! (Have you ever seen the size of those things? You could drive a truck through one of those wind tunnels!) Thanks again Armando, you always do the job for me - HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
:-D
You may remember him as Joe the Policeman from the "What's Goin' Down?" episode of That's My Momma! Please welcome, Jackson Heights' own, Mr. Randy Watson! Sexual Chocolate!!!
jnr98
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:15 pm

There are already lots of rumours going around, including in publications like TSN that Benitez will be traded to the Red Sox for Hillenbrand. I think that if he goes to Boston, Benitez will likely benefit from getting out of the zoo of the Mets clubhouse. Seriously, the Mets have to be the most ineptly run organization in baseball.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:33 pm

I wouldn't want Benitez on a real baseball team but for fantasy purposes he is going to rack up around 30 saves and a ton of K's. He's always going to blow the close ones and eat up the cheap saves. Kinda like Urbina but with more K's.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers