Rumor: Baldelli to the Phillies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rumor: Baldelli to the Phillies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rumor: Baldelli to the Phillies

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:50 am

Rotoworld wrote:Rocco Baldelli - OF - Devil Rays Buy Devil Rays Tickets

ESPN reported that the Phillies opened discussions with the Devil Rays about Rocco Baldelli.
The Phils are offering first base prospect Ryan Howard, but the Devil Rays reportedly aren't interested in the swap. We agree it wouldn't look great for Tampa from a PR standpoint with the average fan, but such a deal has merit given the D-Rays' stockpile of good young outfielders like Joey Gathright and Delmon Young. Jul. 23 - 8:20 am et

Obviously, the person most affected by this trade would be Joey Gathright, as he would likely get a full-time job. It may be time to grab him if you haven't already.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:05 am

no, no, no...please dont devil rays.....just personal opinion i dont see howard being the player that baldelli will be........
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:06 am

That'd be a freaking joke. It's not like we need another bat in the lineup...I like Baldelli's long term potential more than Howard's anyway. I'm afraid that Howard might turn into a one-dimensional power hitter, while Rocco can do more.

Can we get Floyd or Hamels? D-Rays need pitching pretty badly.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:08 am

warrick95 wrote:That'd be a freaking joke. It's not like we need another bat in the lineup...I like Baldelli's long term potential more than Howard's anyway. I'm afraid that Howard might turn into a one-dimensional power hitter, while Rocco can do more.

Can we get Floyd or Hamels? D-Rays need pitching pretty badly.

I agree with your here, Floyd for Baldelli would be a great deal for TB. Either way, I wouldn't mind seeing Baldelli in Philly...afterall, I do own Gathright.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby mdHARRIS » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:53 am

Here in Philly, they should be getting whatever they can for this Howard kid. Right now he's in my hometown of Reading and the kid's a monster, but until the NL has a DH, he won't be needed with Thome clogging his future.

Floyd and Hammels are going nowhere. Unless of course it's for Beltran. Word had it KC pulled the deal for one of them off the table at the last minute. Straight up, 1 for 1.
mdHARRIS
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikcou » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:06 am

I agree I wouldnt see the point of the Devil Rays in doing that trade...
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Music2004Man » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:16 am

As a Phillies fan I like the deal but I do think it could be alittle slanted in the Phil's favor. Howard looks like he can really hit and moving Baldelli would lighten the glut of OF's that TB has but wouldn't it be better to move Cruz?
Music2004Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby warrick95 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:32 am

Cruz isn't going to be re-upped when his deal expires...which is after next year, I believe.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mwb743s » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:19 pm

I have heard that Tampa's owner has ruled Baldelli out to trade away. I have just heard this on different sports talk shows, ESPN stuff like that. I would say it probably wont happen
mwb743s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon taking a leak in the urinal in front of the double sided mirror!

Postby raiders_umpire » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:26 pm

unless it is for pitching by devil rays dont need to move baldelli...if they could get a pitcher i might be game for the trade, but if not keep crawford, baldelli, and gathright as they will be awesome for years.....and the infield of huff, upton, and young can supply the power needed.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers