The truth about Giambi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The truth about Giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmeesig » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:58 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=1748917

"Prosecutors released documents last month saying Anderson told federal agents he gave steroids to several professional baseball players. No players were identified in those documents"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1737502

According to the documents released Tuesday, Anderson told federal agents he gave steroids to several professional baseball players. It was unclear whether Anderson provided specific names to the federal agents.

No players were identified in the documents released at a news conference at the U.S. attorney's office in San Francisco, and the only time a player's name was used in the 24 pages of documents it was blacked out.

But at least two newspapers around the country were e-mailed versions of the documents, and that player's name mistakenly was not blacked out. The New York Times and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Gary Sheffield was listed as having sent a package to BALCO on Feb. 17, 2003.

seriously - I have yet to find anything implicating Giambi. Mostly Bonds and Sheff, and those are still speculative implications at this point.
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crip » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:09 am

I think yanks1226 is the Ben Stiller character in Dodgeball!!!!
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rirruto » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:20 am

crip wrote:I think yanks1226 is the Ben Stiller character in Dodgeball!!!!

Touché!
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby LBJackal » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:23 am

Rirruto wrote:
crip wrote:I think yanks1226 is the Ben Stiller character in Dodgeball!!!!

Touché!

Are you sure that isn't Manny trying to block Damon's throw to the cutoff man?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:28 am

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... /BALCO.TMP

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4389316/

Argh. Did you read that article you posted closely? The documents that were officially released did not contain names. The documents that were leaked did.

Now if those leaked documents were bogus why is there now a court order for a federal probe into the leak?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:40 am

Hmmm...leaked, eh? Kind of sounds like "people familiar with Randy Johnson's thinking"... I did mention the leaked documents (2nd paragraph):

No players were identified in the documents released at a news conference at the U.S. attorney's office in San Francisco, and the only time a player's name was used in the 24 pages of documents it was blacked out.

But at least two newspapers around the country were e-mailed versions of the documents, and that player's name mistakenly was not blacked out. The New York Times and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported that Gary Sheffield was listed as having sent a package to BALCO on Feb. 17, 2003

Only Sheffield is mentioned according to the above...

Anyway, thanks for the links - but they contradict your arguement...such as:

The information shared with The Chronicle did not explicitly state that the athletes had used the drugs they were said to have obtained

AND

"Trainer Greg Anderson gave the players the drugs from BALCO, according to information given to the government and shared with the newspaper. The report did not say how federal investigators received the information."

So according to the msnbc article, the info may not have come from Anderson. Earlier in the thread, you said Anderson's testimony was proof of Giambi's guilt. I still don't see where you got that from.

I don't know if he used them or not, nor do I have an opinion. I just don't feel its right to post such allegations without proof. Steroid abuse is drug abuse, and I don't think people should be made the point of ridicule for desctructive behavior. Stating you opinion is one thing, but the original comments I replied to are nothing but libel.

The latest "cancer check" is definitely alarming, since steroid use is known to be a catalyst. I'm sure we'll find out more as the days go by, but as of now, Giambi has not been convicted, or even indicted on any charges.

[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:08 am

Real Deal wrote:i just heard on espn radio that the tests were for cancer.

hey kids........STAY OFF THE JUICE............remeber lyle alzado

supposedly the tests were just to eliminate all the bad stuff as possible causes, not that they actually thought he had cancer.

as far as i know, no doctor ever said steroids caused alzado's brain tumor. lyle claimed they did and they may very well have, but no medical evidence exists that proves steroids killed lyle alzado. but i am not trying to defend steroids either. all you need to do is read the ken caminiti story where he talks about his boys disappearing for awhile and any desire you have to use roids should be gone.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:44 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 5069c.html

Giambi is expected to receive a clean bill of health, Cashman said, and the GM noted he hoped that would provide some comfort. Giambi has been dealing with the aftereffects of an intestinal parasite and he went to Yankee medical officials recently when he felt he wasn't regaining his strength. He already went through a cycle of antibiotics that was supposed to make him feel better.

Some good news at least...hopefully he can get himself back on track.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:54 pm

rmeesig wrote:Anyway, thanks for the links - but they contradict your arguement...such as:

The information shared with The Chronicle did not explicitly state that the athletes had used the drugs they were said to have obtained

AND

"Trainer Greg Anderson gave the players the drugs from BALCO, according to information given to the government and shared with the newspaper. The report did not say how federal investigators received the information."[/color]

So according to the msnbc article, the info may not have come from Anderson. Earlier in the thread, you said Anderson's testimony was proof of Giambi's guilt. I still don't see where you got that from.

I don't know if he used them or not, nor do I have an opinion. I just don't feel its right to post such allegations without proof. Steroid abuse is drug abuse, and I don't think people should be made the point of ridicule for desctructive behavior. Stating you opinion is one thing, but the original comments I replied to are nothing but libel.

Neither of those articles articles contradict my argument. I made the point before you did that there was no proof anyone used the steroids. But why do you think he was obtaining them? When the IRS agent was digging through BALCO's garbage every morning why was he able to videotape Giambi coming into the office once a week for 5 minutes. Use your circular logic if you like but it's quite obvious.

If it's libel, like you mention, then why aren't Giambi, Sheffield, Bonds, etc. suing for name defamation? Because there is truth to it? If the information is bogus then why is the federal government probing the leaking?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmeesig » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:32 pm

Your original post:

There is no proof that he was using them but you have Anderson's (BALCO employee) testimony that Giambi was obtaining them from BALCO.

Where in your sources does it say this? Anderson's "leaked" testimony only implicates Gary Sheffield. That's why I said your artilces contracit your arguement.

I'm not disputing any of this happened! I'm merely commenting on the topic of this thread - The "truth" about Giambi.

The truth is still unknown, yet people seem to think they have the answers.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers