Trade Mench Please!!!!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Trade Mench Please!!!!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Mench Please!!!!!!!

Postby beezer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:57 pm

Please Texas, trade Mench to someone that appreciates his talent!!! Obviously, Buck is blind to it or has something against him. He was on the bench AGAIN. I suppose he will sit in favor of Brian Jordan when he comes back too!! What a joke.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:58 pm

You should not own Mench unless it's an AL only league. The OF is just too crowded. Nix is the only one possibly worth owning, only b/c he usually starts (and massacres) against righties.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Real Deal » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:49 pm

this may be old news to you, but i heard a while back that texas may trade him to az for danny bautista. i really don't know why texas would do that trade, but that's what i heard.
Real Deal
College Coach
College Coach

Re: Trade Mench Please!!!!!!!

Postby thehat » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:23 pm

beezer wrote:Please Texas, trade Mench to someone that appreciates his talent!!! Obviously, Buck is blind to it or has something against him. He was on the bench AGAIN. I suppose he will sit in favor of Brian Jordan when he comes back too!! What a joke.

The joke here is that you keep insisting that Showalter is at fault for not playing Mench everyday. Try checking out some stats.

Mench vs. righties this season: 37/155 (.239)
Mench vs. righties career: 125/486 (.257)

Meanwhile, Nix is at .318, Matthews is at .303, E Young is even hitting .305, and Dellucci is at .274 vs. righties.

Simply stated, Mench is platooning because he is not a particularly good option vs. righties, at least not in comparison to others on his team.

If you're going to rip the manager for not playing your guy, at least present some facts to support your case instead of just spouting off.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby beezer » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:13 pm

From Rotoworld:

Kevin Mench is out of the starting lineup in favor of Gary Matthews Jr for the second straight game tonight.
Even though he has a 1039 OPS this month, Mench hasn't made back-to-back starts since play resumed last week. He could use a trade to a team with a manager that would appreciate him more than Buck Showalter does.

Looks like I'm not the only one who feels the same way.
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thehat » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:52 pm

Matthews has been very solid as well, OPS over .9 for this month. Don't forget to factor in Mench's stellar .633 OPS for June. Also, the Mench surge has been vs. lefties. You can argue all you want about how good you think this guy is, but the numbers indicate that he's not yet anything special. Personally, I don't think he ever will be. He's not a stiff, but Mench is also never going to be a big star. He's a .270 type with some power, no speed and is not likely to be winning any Gold Gloves anytime soon.

I'm just curious as to why you've got such a serious case of the hots for this guy (aside from the fact he's obviously on your fantasy team).
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby John Bonzo » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:39 am

Ive been watching Mench play for about 3-4 years now (since his time in AA). Sure, he has talent, but he has struggles as well. I dont see him being any sort of special player, and i agree with Showalter on his role on the team now (Nix and Matthews are much better defensively (and look at least just as good with the stick too), and Young's speed and hot hitting are needed in their lineup).
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby slomo007 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:16 am

The funny part is that even with the OF so crowded now...there is a chance Rusty Greer is going to return for the very end of the season and/or postseason. He is a fan favorite in DFW, so he'll get some playing time as well.

Next year, expect Ramon Nivar to play some also...honestly, Nix is the only viable option in mixed fantasy leagues IMO.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby GameOn » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:28 pm

beezer wrote:From Rotoworld:

Kevin Mench is out of the starting lineup in favor of Gary Matthews Jr for the second straight game tonight.
Even though he has a 1039 OPS this month, Mench hasn't made back-to-back starts since play resumed last week. He could use a trade to a team with a manager that would appreciate him more than Buck Showalter does.

Looks like I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

Sounds like we know where you got your opinion from. Its shocking how RotoWorld just happens to have an article on Mench that says exactly everything you said. Think for yourself!
GameOn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby beezer » Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:20 pm

I read the Rotoworld article AFTER I made my post about Mench gameon. So zip it!! Good luck making the playoffs!! Heard Texas was interested in Larry Walker. Just what you need down there. Hey here's a tip: get some pitching. Oh that's right, Chan Ho Park might be coming back and he will lead you to the promised land! NOT!!!!
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers