Yahoo "advisory" on dumping players? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo "advisory" on dumping players?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo "advisory" on dumping players?

Postby AdvRider » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:35 am

What's this business from Yahoo? Note the "Advisory" below ... anyone noticed this? What's the rationale?

Seems pretty stupid to me. For one thing, there's no way to prevent it! If I wanna drop Vlad Guerrero for Randall Simon, who's to stop it? Saying "you may not" rings hollow ... what are they gonna do about it?

Yeah sure there may be some clown in 11th place who thinks it's funny to swap Guerrero for Simon, but so what? Telling a kid he can't do something only makes him want to do it more. And if Guerrero and Johnson and Bonds get dumped, they're picked up by the smart savvy managers who pay attention every day and manage their teams.

Drop Player
Note: This transaction will be reflected on your lineup for Thursday, Jul 22.

Player to Drop

O. Infante (Det - 2B,SS) KC 583 - 1/4 0 0 0 0 .250

Advisory: You may not drop or "dump" players from your team for any reason other than attempting to improve your own team and/or its standing within the league.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:47 am

It's an ethical thing.

More related to someone who picks a player up and then drops him to waivers the same day, therefore denying anyone else the ability to claim that player until the designated time has elapsed.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Yahoo "advisory" on dumping players?

Postby jumpman8288 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:52 am

AdvRider wrote:What's this business from Yahoo? Note the "Advisory" below ... anyone noticed this? What's the rationale?

Seems pretty stupid to me. For one thing, there's no way to prevent it! If I wanna drop Vlad Guerrero for Randall Simon, who's to stop it? Saying "you may not" rings hollow ... what are they gonna do about it?

Yeah sure there may be some clown in 11th place who thinks it's funny to swap Guerrero for Simon, but so what? Telling a kid he can't do something only makes him want to do it more. And if Guerrero and Johnson and Bonds get dumped, they're picked up by the smart savvy managers who pay attention every day and manage their teams.

Drop Player
Note: This transaction will be reflected on your lineup for Thursday, Jul 22.

Player to Drop

O. Infante (Det - 2B,SS) KC 583 - 1/4 0 0 0 0 .250

Advisory: You may not drop or "dump" players from your team for any reason other than attempting to improve your own team and/or its standing within the league.

If you're in a public league, the Can't Cut List.
[URL=http://http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7158944067217702636&q=new+born+muse]MUSE ROCK[/URL]
jumpman8288
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:54 am

Too many people "dump" or "abandon" their teams in public leagues. It's just Yahoo's way of helping to maintain the competitive balance.

Not sure why Infante got tagged though. Did you recently pick him up? :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:51 am

I am the commish of our [private] league and just went through a 'revolt' from some players related to this subject. One of them is not doing very well and stated publicly that he was going to trade his team 'to try to influence the playoffs' and to submit requests. I said 'you can't do that and I will veto trades that are not fair'.

Most of the league didn't get involved but the dropper and, perhaps coincidentally, the person with whom he had intended on trading guys both went nuts griping about it. To measure the 'depravity', The dropper even told me that he'd trade [his] Schmidt for [my] Zito. I told him that he was nuts and was pretty open about it but some people insisted on putting stuff together for him like Beltre/ Schmidt/ Rivera for Graves/ Castilla/ Carpenter. I pretty much dug in my heels and endured some abuse but, over the last couple of weeks, the dumper started winning again and recovered and we're back to normal. The guy who's in first mentioned 'I don't think that they should be able to do that' but did not do so publicly but I still don't feel that I acted unfairly.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby AdvRider » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:30 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes, I'd picked up Infante seven days earlier, had Nevin come off the DL, and wanted to make room so dropped Infante.

What the advisory should say is:

WARNING: Dropping a player significantly increases the chances that the player will all of a sudden start performing like a stud.

Why? In today's game against KC, Infante has already HOMERED TWICE!! hohohohohoho too funny....
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:32 pm

AdvRider wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys. Yes, I'd picked up Infante seven days earlier, had Nevin come off the DL, and wanted to make room so dropped Infante.

What the advisory should say is:

WARNING: Dropping a player significantly increases the chances that the player will all of a sudden start performing like a stud.

Why? In today's game against KC, Infante has already HOMERED TWICE!! hohohohohoho too funny....

Happens to me everytime too...I dropped Infante yesterday as well...hopefully I can get him back.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:37 pm

dropped him yesterday. had a trade where i got giles for friday, but wanted to make another move. so I figured, "i can go without infante for a day". criminy. although, guess having hafner and pujols this week (along with tex and blalock) makes up for it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby KolbSaves » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:57 pm

did someone just say "criminy"?

what decade are we in?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager