[TRADE] Mets get Benson/Kendal for Wiggy/Phillips/Diaz - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

[TRADE] Mets get Benson/Kendal for Wiggy/Phillips/Diaz

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:23 pm

rmeesig wrote:It was around 11:20 AM or so...Bucs will be taking on some of Kendall's contract.

You must have just heard a rumor because if this was official, it would be all over the Internet and radio since it is already past 4. Nobody is talking about it on WFAN, and nothing is listed on rotoworld.com, mets.com, ESPN, etc.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:24 pm

i haven't been able to find anything about this anywhere.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby chinch sacs » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:32 pm

I guess this was well know to people in the industry...

Quote from Tom Verducci, SI.com on July 14th

Do the Mets have the right prospects to make a trade for a quality starter or will they have to settle for bullpen help instead? Is trading Ty Wigginton a good idea before knowing what kind of major leaguer David Wright will be? The past few highly touted Mets prospects were either injury prone or were complete flops. -- Emmett Fleeson, Glen Burnie, Md.

I understand why a Mets fan would be gun shy about another prospect, but every indication is that Wigginton will never be the overall player that Wright will be. You have to trust your organization's talent evaluators on those kinds of calls. I expect the Mets to trade Wigginton and one of their pitching prospects to find help for their rotation, such as Kris Benson, and Wright will be their third baseman
Fantasy sports are ruled by the 50-50-90 rule...

Anytime you have a 50/50 choice between two players, 90% of the time, you'll get it wrong
chinch sacs
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:40 pm

ensanimal wrote:i haven't been able to find anything about this anywhere.

It was reported in the NY Daily News, WFAN radio station as well as a bunch of Mets-oriented web sites but the Mets/Pirates have not confirmed it.

slomo007 wrote:This doesn't make sense. If Pittsburgh wouldn't take Wiggington straight up for Benson...how does throwing in Phillips and a Minor Leaguer >= Kendall. Obviously, if NY has to pay most of Kendall's contract, then it would make sense...but otherwise this is a terrible trade for Pittsburgh.

This is all about Pittsburg getting out from under that $37M payroll. Even if they pick up $10-$15M you're talking about $22M-$27M in savings.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:53 pm

Amazinz wrote:
ensanimal wrote:i haven't been able to find anything about this anywhere.

It was reported in the NY Daily News, WFAN radio station as well as a bunch of Mets-oriented web sites but the Mets/Pirates have not confirmed it.

that's what i meant, haven't seen anything official on this, internet/radio/tv's got nothing.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 112)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:59 pm

ensanimal wrote:that's what i meant, haven't seen anything official on this, internet/radio/tv's got nothing.

Yea these reports that the deal is done seem to be premature. WFAN just did the Mets notes and the only news was Dan Wheeler demoted to AAA and Wright is batting 7th. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:29 pm

Benson also happens to be starting tonight so I am pretty sure this trade is nowhere near official ;-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Surfs up » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:35 pm

I was watching the Reds and Cubs and I didn't hear anything about it there. I didn't see the whole game so it could have happened. If so I agree the Mets did well. Piazza to first. But Kendall could also play there. Hmmm intertesting
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 184)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers