What is up with Sammy Sosa????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is up with Sammy Sosa?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rich101682 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:06 pm

pomplona's finest wrote:
The day Dunn finishes the season with a .270 average, I'll eat my hat.


For some reason I find this very funny.


Glad to help! ;-D
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 841
(Past Year: 53)
Joined: 24 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:57 pm

The Jury wrote:
Though it can be speculated that Sosa is on the decline, and it may be true, this is not certain.


No wrong. It's very certain.

Last 4 seasons

2001 Avg .328 OBP .437 SLG .737 OPS 1.174
2002 .288 .399 .594 .993
2003 .279 .358 .553 .911
2004 .267 .355 .546 .901

Now if that isn't evidence of a guy in decline I don't know what is.

Yeah sure the HR's are great, but 40 HR's and a lousy average are no more than what Adam Dunn is capable of.

Using injuries and unfortunate incidents as a way to excuse this significant decline in production is rubbish.

He's old. He's only going to have more of these problems and he is going to continue to decline. I thought that at the beginning of the season and I've seen nothing so far this season to make me think any differently now.

But you guys keep your heads in the sand and continue to grab him in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds, and I'll continue to have no trouble finishing ahead of you.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby The Jury » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:51 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
The Jury wrote:
Though it can be speculated that Sosa is on the decline, and it may be true, this is not certain.


No wrong. It's very certain.

Last 4 seasons

2001 Avg .328 OBP .437 SLG .737 OPS 1.174
2002 .288 .399 .594 .993
2003 .279 .358 .553 .911
2004 .267 .355 .546 .901

Now if that isn't evidence of a guy in decline I don't know what is.

Yeah sure the HR's are great, but 40 HR's and a lousy average are no more than what Adam Dunn is capable of.

Using injuries and unfortunate incidents as a way to excuse this significant decline in production is rubbish.

He's old. He's only going to have more of these problems and he is going to continue to decline. I thought that at the beginning of the season and I've seen nothing so far this season to make me think any differently now.

But you guys keep your heads in the sand and continue to grab him in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds, and I'll continue to have no trouble finishing ahead of you.


Yes however the games he's played from 2001-2004 are 160, 150, 137, and now 64 so far this year.

The decline in games correlates to the decline in numbers. I'd suspect that a player who is healthy the entire year will outproduce a player that battles injuries throughout the year more times than not. So I don't think it is fair yet to tack Sosa on the decline list in terms of his ability, but maybe the decline list in terms of his annual DUE TO INJURY.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:23 pm

The Jury wrote:Yes however the games he's played from 2001-2004 are 160, 150, 137, and now 64 so far this year.

The decline in games correlates to the decline in numbers.


This season is the first time over the period 2001-2004 that he has battled a significant injury and he's still on pace to play 135 games. I wouldn't call that amount of games played a result of battling injuries throughout the year. That's less than a month missed out of a six month season.


With that in mind, your reasoning that the decline in games correlates to the decline in his numbers is laughable. I haven't included number of games played reliant stats like Runs, RBI's and HR's.

Just the true sign of a declining slugger. Avg. OPS and Slg.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:42 pm

I hate to admit this...but NZF is right...and by the numbers...Dunn is a better value... :-/
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13084
Joined: 13 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: floating around on the 3rd rock

Postby The Jury » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:47 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
The Jury wrote:Yes however the games he's played from 2001-2004 are 160, 150, 137, and now 64 so far this year.

The decline in games correlates to the decline in numbers.


This season is the first time over the period 2001-2004 that he has battled a significant injury and he's still on pace to play 135 games. I wouldn't call that amount of games played a result of battling injuries throughout the year. That's less than a month missed out of a six month season.


With that in mind, your reasoning that the decline in games correlates to the decline in his numbers is laughable. I haven't included number of games played reliant stats like Runs, RBI's and HR's.

Just the true sign of a declining slugger. Avg. OPS and Slg.


You haven't listed those, but who's likely to produce better - a healthy hitter or a hurting one?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:50 pm

No one can really say for certain that a hitter is on the decline. It can only be speculated, thus it is opinion vs. opinion, not fact vs. fact.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3328
Joined: 17 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 22
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(7:07 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact