What is up with Sammy Sosa????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is up with Sammy Sosa?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:53 pm

No doubt he is in decline.
But you are/were crazy if you drafted Dunn ahead of him this year.
He is on a "better" (supposedly) team this year with better guys hitting in front of him, so one would think his RBI's take take a jump. He is established, and his been consistant. Something you dont get with alot of players, especially young guys like Dunn. With Sosa you know what you get, you leave him in til September, then you go back and look when you're finished.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:57 pm

RynMan wrote:No doubt he is in decline.
He is on a "better" (supposedly) team this year with better guys hitting in front of him, so one would think his RBI's take take a jump. He is established, and his been consistant. Something you dont get with alot of players, especially young guys like Dunn. With Sosa you know what you get, you leave him in til September, then you go back and look when you're finished.

Not talking about at the beginning of the year I'm talking about Sosa having no more value right now than a guy like Dunn and there is no way Dunn goes in any half decent league in the first 3-4 rounds at the moment, so why should Sosa :-?

I'll answer my own question. Because he is over rated.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:09 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:

Not talking about at the beginning of the year I'm talking about Sosa having no more value right now than a guy like Dunn and there is no way Dunn goes in any half decent league in the first 3-4 rounds at the moment, so why should Sosa :-?

Okay, if you took him NOW is the first 3 or 4 rounds, ur kiddin urself.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: What is up with Sammy Sosa?????

Postby rich101682 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:33 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:100 odd RBI's 40-45 dingers and a .270 average puts him on a par with another strikeout machine Adam Dunn

The day Dunn finishes the season with a .270 average, I'll eat my hat.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby crip » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:14 am

new zealand-----u need anger management i think
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sosafan » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:38 am

Overated???
I remember my first fantasy basebal team. I made stupid remarks as well. overated?
hardly.
is he having a bad year,yes, by his standards especially.
but I gaurantee if you were gonna get 155 games out of him, you would be crtazy NOT to expect 45 taters and 120 rbis.
New Zealand Fan wrote:

sosafan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Jury » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:41 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:

It is possible that he is being overrated by some fantasy owners, however that is justified by his past years of monster stats. The past couple of years have utterly been bad years - not "normal" years as he's been injured and has run into unfortunate incidents.

People have been having faith with Sosa because he's only a couple years removed from being one of the premier sluggers in fantasy baseball in most categories. Though it can be speculated that Sosa is on the decline, and it may be true, this is not certain. If he has another "normal" year or two he can totally have an impact fantasy-wise.

Another name to throw into the Sosa mix is Chipper Jones. Pretty much the same story as Sosa, no?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:44 pm

The day Dunn finishes the season with a .270 average, I'll eat my hat.

For some reason I find this very funny.

But as for Sosa, he was overrated in the beginning of the season but I expect him to have a fine second half, he is a much better fantasy OF than Dunn.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby john gardner » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:46 pm

Don't make me come down there!!!!! :-D
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thetongueofire » Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:58 pm

i think Sammy was overrated coming into this year... hes basically a three cat OF who started having injury problems late in his career.. that didnt inspire me enough preseason to draft him in any of my leagues. and believe me, im not kidding when i say Sammy is even losing his power gradually.

given that he is by far the best hitter in baseball, taking Bonds as a first rounder in a 5x5 was also a reach but all we do is look at the HR's.

peace. :-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers