What is up with Sammy Sosa????? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is up with Sammy Sosa?????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is up with Sammy Sosa?????

Postby crip » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:51 pm

I have this guy and he has been ICE cold lately...I mean is he washed up or what....He is the catalyst to jump start that offense and he is simply not getting the job done....He needs to put up soon or he's bench material!!
Timmy!!!
crip
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mustangs989 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:56 pm

He's looked really bad at the plate recently. He tries to pull everything for a HR and it usually ends up being a soft grounder or he strikes out. Hopefully he can start driving those outside pitches to right field and gets on one of his hot streaks.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Andy1234 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:00 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:He tries to pull everything for a HR and it usually ends up being a soft grounder or he strikes out.
He has always done this. He has an all or nothing swing. Those hot streaks are the only thing that keep his numbers respectable.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Jury » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:11 pm

Andy1234 wrote:
Mustangs989 wrote:He tries to pull everything for a HR and it usually ends up being a soft grounder or he strikes out.
He has always done this. He has an all or nothing swing. Those hot streaks are the only thing that keep his numbers respectable.

Or those cold streaks are the only thing that keep his numbers human-like :-D

He's a streaky hitter, and a good one at that.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Re: What is up with Sammy Sosa?????

Postby NZF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:15 pm

crip wrote:I have this guy and he has been ICE cold lately...I mean is he washed up or what....He is the catalyst to jump start that offense and he is simply not getting the job done....He needs to put up soon or he's bench material!!

What do you expect numb nuts.
Take a look at his numbers the past 4 seasons, especially Avg. OPS and SLG.

See any trend there. If you drafted him expecting anything different then you deserve what you've got. A highly over rated fantasy OF.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:31 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
crip wrote:I have this guy and he has been ICE cold lately...I mean is he washed up or what....He is the catalyst to jump start that offense and he is simply not getting the job done....He needs to put up soon or he's bench material!!

See any trend there. If you drafted him expecting anything different then you deserve what you've got. A highly over rated fantasy OF.

I dunno if he's overrated.....overrated by who?
I think before this season you could have reasonably expected:
.280, 40-45 dingers, 120 RBI's.
That's Decent in my mind. worthy of a 3rd or 4th round pick. Any1 who thinks hed be more than that is overrating him.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Jury » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:36 pm

RynMan wrote:
New Zealand Fan wrote:

I think before this season you could have reasonably expected:
.280, 40-45 dingers, 120 RBI's.
That's Decent in my mind. worthy of a 3rd or 4th round pick. Any1 who thinks hed be more than that is overrating him.

Yep, Sosa is still one of the better fantasy outfielders.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NZF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:39 pm

RynMan wrote:

By the thousands of punters who took him in the first 3 rounds.
Neither a .280 average or 120 RBI's could have been expected given he hasn't hit more than 108 RBI's the past 2 seasons and his average has dipped significantly over that period as well.

100 odd RBI's 40-45 dingers and a .270 average puts him on a par with another strikeout machine Adam Dunn and with Dunn's multi position eligibility I'd prefer him over Sosa. That is about where Sosa should have been taken in drafts. As usual he was way, way over rated.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Hey » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:44 pm

Also take a look at how many games he played last year, buddy. And you wonder why his numbers were down?
Hey. Go Mets!!
Hey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:50 pm

Hey wrote:Also take a look at how many games he played last year, buddy. And you wonder why his numbers were down?

The problem BUDDY, is his sharp decline in OBP and SLG over the past 3 seasons. That has nothing to do with games played. He's old, he's going to keep on playing fewer and fewer games. He's on pace for even less this season.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers