New York Mets
Position: 3B Height: 6-0 Weight: 190 Born: 12/20/82 Bats: Right Throws: Right

Year Team Level G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2001 Kingsport A 36 120 27 36 7 0 4 17 16 30 9 1 .300 .391 .458
2002 Columbia A 135 496 85 132 30 2 11 93 76 114 21 5 .266 .367 .401
2003 St. Lucie A 133 466 69 126 39 2 15 75 72 98 19 5 .270 .369 .459
2004 Binghamton AA 60 223 44 81 27 0 10 40 39 41 20 6 .363 .467 .619

Background
The Mets drafted David Wright in the supplemental first round of the 2001 draft, out of high school in Chesapeake, Va. He has progressed steadily up the ladder, and is now the premier prospect in the Mets system, dominating the Double-A level in the Eastern League for Binghamton in '04. Wright does everything well, and is one of the most complete prospects in the game today.

Scouting report
Wright is a solid all-around athlete. His weakest tool is his running speed, which is average. But he has excellent instincts on the bases, and has shown he can steal a base. His aggression on the basepaths has increased as his confidence has grown. Defense is another strength. Wright has above-average range, a strong arm, and soft hands. Some scouts believe he could be a Gold Glove at third base with more experience. But where Wright really stands out is with the stick. His strike-zone judgment is outstanding. He shows power to all fields, but can go the opposite way when pitchers try to pound the outer half of the zone against him. He handles fastballs and breaking balls equally well. His hands are quick, enabling him to deal with inside pitches. He should hit for average and power at all levels. Scouts say that Wright has no real weaknesses. His main problem in past seasons has been streakiness, especially in cold weather, but he's been incredibly consistent so far in 2004. His work ethic is exceptional and he loves the game.

Performance
Statistically, Wright has improved at every level. His walk rate has always been strong, but his strikeout rate has declined as he's moved up, an excellent marker for a developing hitter. His batting average in '02 and '03 was mediocre, but it's been excellent this year, combining with his high walk rate to give him terrific OBP/SLG/OPS marks. He may be a .260ish hitter in his initial exposure to the major league level, but in time he should hit in the .300 range. His large number of doubles is an indicator of more home run power to come. Scouts like to compare him to Scott Rolen, and the numbers back this up.

Health record
Wright has had no serious injuries or health concerns. His biggest problem has been maintaining his physical strength over a long season. He is a workout nut and the Mets worry that he works too hard sometimes. Generally speaking, a player who works too hard at staying in shape is likely to have a better career than one who doesn't work hard enough.

What to expect
Several clubs have asked about Wright in trade talks, particularly the Kansas City Royals, who are looking to trade Carlos Beltran for an impact prospect. The Mets so far have balked at giving Wright up; they understand his value. He's the most complete third base prospect in the minor leagues, and second only to B.J. Upton among all upper-level position players in terms of long-term impact. He will be ready for a major league job in 2005, in Shea or elsewhere, and should be regarded as an early candidate for '05 Rookie of the Year.
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:02 am

Wright is being called up regardless of whether or not Piazza is going on the DL. Piazza will most likely not be going on the DL so the Mets will announce a roster move today.

LINK
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joshheines » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:16 am

The best thing about David Wright is that he is a pure hitter. A pure hitter is technically defined as a hitter who has more XBH than K's and more walks than K's.

In AA, he had 37 XBH, 39 walks, and 41 K. In AAA, 16 XBH, 16 walks, 18 K.

Pure hitters in the minors are very few and far between. In fact, in the majors they are too. Helton, Pujols, and Bonds are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

re

Postby ny69mets86 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:49 am

This Mets freak is glad he got Wright to sign a baseball card sent c/o Norfolk Tides a month ago.

Wright is the real deal. He may not be an overnight success, but give him reasonable development time in the bigs, and you will be happy.

"To be honest, I haven't been able to speak too well since I got the news," he told MLB.com. "I got the news earlier, and it's unbelievable. It's what I've dreamed about since I was a kid. I'll remember this day the rest of my life. I've been trying to get myself together all night.

"It's really special to get called into that office and hear the news. I'm speechless. I got the word, and I called my parents. They were jumping around. Now I have to get packed and get ready for tomorrow."
ny69mets86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Rkiivs » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:12 am

You guys in NY take care of my boy. I've been watching him all summer down here in Norfolk. He's going to be doing one more autograph appearance here before he hits the show. I can't wait.
Rkiivs Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Innovative Member

Postby ramble2 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:38 pm

Jivedude wrote:This calls for a Happy Dance!

8-o

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby rmeesig » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:51 pm

great, here come the "When will D.Wright be available on Yahoo" threads...
If a man dwells on the past, then he robs the present.
But if a man ignores the past, he may rob the future.
The seeds of our destiny are nurtured by the roots of our past.
[i]-- Master Po[/i]
rmeesig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:40 pm

Har Har! I have had a "fake" filler David Wright on my CBS keeper team since April. The real David Wright is available on CBS now, I think I was one of the first few people to add him (he is still owned and started in 0% of all leagues).

Just realized that this is so because I used commish power to execute the exchange immediately. So he will be owned in more leagues after each league's waiver period. Hehe ;-) .

He is still not there on Yahoo.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby The Jury » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:36 pm

GrimZeke007 wrote:uhh he considered to be the next rolen sort of. he's the 2nd best prospect in baseball!!!

Who's first? Upton?

And where can I find a list of these prospects?
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GrimZeke007 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:12 pm

The Jury wrote:
GrimZeke007 wrote:uhh he considered to be the next rolen sort of. he's the 2nd best prospect in baseball!!!

Who's first? Upton?

And where can I find a list of these prospects?

yeah Upton is considered #1, um not really sure but i think you can find a prospect list at baseballamerica.com.

Question: When Wright is on yahoo, will be a free agent or be on the waivers?
<a href="http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2242053#2242053">Help rate my team!</a>
GrimZeke007
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers