MVPs so far - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MVPs so far

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:21 pm

It certainly appears every NL manager knows what player is the most valuable to their (the players) team. There is no other player in the game that managers say "Beat us with someone else" day in and day out.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:59 pm

Tavish wrote:It certainly appears every NL manager knows what player is the most valuable to their (the players) team. There is no other player in the game that managers say "Beat us with someone else" day in and day out.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. :-?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Jury » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:33 pm

DK wrote:
The Jury wrote:Oh yeah, why was A-Rod the MVP last year? This still boggles my mind :-?

With or without A-Rod the Rangers were brutal so how was he valuable?

In my opinion, the voters voted him as the MVP because of his performance over the last 3 seasons, because he'd been shafted as the MVP for the first two.

We all know that A-Rod has up the most outstanding numbers the past few years, but if his team is in last place he can't be all that valuable to them.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:39 pm

The Jury wrote:
DK wrote:
The Jury wrote:Oh yeah, why was A-Rod the MVP last year? This still boggles my mind :-?

In my opinion, the voters voted him as the MVP because of his performance over the last 3 seasons, because he'd been shafted as the MVP for the first two.

We all know that A-Rod has up the most outstanding numbers the past few years, but if his team is in last place he can't be all that valuable to them.

I know. It was more of a pity vote- "He's deserved it too long so let's give it to him" rather than "He was the best this year".
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:42 pm

DK wrote:
Tavish wrote:It certainly appears every NL manager knows what player is the most valuable to their (the players) team. There is no other player in the game that managers say "Beat us with someone else" day in and day out.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment. :-?

It was cryptic support of Bonds. I really didn't have anything to add to what you had already said, but I figured it was a good oppurtunity to get #1000.

But I do have a question for you DK, what RC formula are you using. I'm guessing it was using stats from before Pujols' 3-HR outburst. Looking at the numbers right now I don't see anyway Rolen would grade out higher.

<pre>
Lwts grade Baseruns
Bonds 76.41 113
Pujols 45.36 80
Rolen 39.07 72

Ramirez 51.93 84
Ortiz 35.50 73
Vlad 35.04 72
Pudge 30.12 65
</pre>

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby DK » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:39 pm

I was using the original H+BB*TB/(AB+BB). I had to do it manually, however, so it took me some time.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:55 pm

i totally agree with DK.... ive never liked Bonds and only as recent as a few months ago i never understood why he wins the mvp every year...

... Bonds will win the MVP if the Giants can somehow make their way into the playoffs. PERIOD.

and despite my dislike for him, he'll likely deserve it.

to anyone whos still not convinced.. just compare the top candidates win shares to their teams total win shares to see how important they are to their respective teams. the numbers are pretty convincing.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:55 pm

and just as a side thing.. id put Abreu slightly before Pujols at this point in the NL MVP race. he, not Thome has carried the Phils imo. not to mention hes carrying a large number of my teams with his 5-"tool" studliness.... :-b
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby giants8307 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:46 am

The Jury wrote:
DK wrote:

Why can't he be that valuable? How about about if AROD and the yankees win 130 games next year? Maybe they win 105 without AROD, thats giving him a lot of props, but they still finish in first place. Is he no longer the MVP because he played for a great team? I don't think so. To me, the MVP is the player who would have had the most impact on an average club, regardless of where his actual club finished.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giants8307 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:53 am

joshheines wrote:I really appreciate everyone's input and it's interesting to see where I stand on some topics, but if there's anything I teach you guys in this post it will be LOOK before you SPEAK.

While it is true that SBC Park is a terrible ball park for hitters to hit HR, it is NOT TRUE that SBC Park is a pitchers park. It is actually quite neutral. Meanwhile, Miller park is very slightly a pitcher's park for both runs and HR.

For the record, Sheets is better at home than on the road. And Schmidt is better on the road than he is at home.

And Sheets should not receive consideration in my opinion because of his record, 9-6 on a .500+ team for someone with his numbers doesn't = MVP to me. Schmidt is 12-2 with the same numbers, more or less, as Sheets. Sheets is very good, but wins and losses count big time here.

See: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

Schmidt and Sheets are both helping their clubs win. Whether their teams do it or not is not their issue. This brings up the old John Kruk argument of Jarrod Washburn and his 7 wins earlier in the year. He had by far the most wins, but was his 5.50 ERA really helping his club win? Not really. The Angels helped him win, not the other way around. That's why I don't care to use wins by picthers in determining who's the best.
giants8307
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers