Halladay vs Mussina - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Halladay vs Mussina

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Halladay vs Mussina

Postby Wildcats » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:56 pm

I have them both and they're starting aganist each other tomorrow :~( and i wanted to know who i should start and who should be benched. Is that a good idea? I figured if one does good then the other will do bad and they'll cancel each other out, in terms of points.
Wildcats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcs261 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:04 am

Great matchup, for sure. I'm starting Mussina only because Halladay isn't on my team. But I would be a bit concerned about Mussina's high pitch count in his last start (120+). I doubt the Yankees allow Moose to go much over 100 pitches.
kcs261
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Wildcats » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:07 am

Who should I start? bench? do that at all?
Wildcats
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jdh » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:26 am

It isn't necessarily a bad thing to start both of them, if you think they will both do well, since they will both eat innings and get K's and may help your ERA and WHIP, although they both obviously won't win.

I think Mussina is a safer start if for no other reason than the strength of the Yankee's lineup. I don't know if I personally would start any pitcher against the Yankees except maybe Pedro. They just have a ridiculously potent offense. On opening day this year against the Yankees, Halladay gave up 8 runs so there is the potential for him to get eaten alive. That start was at SkyDome, this is in NYC, giving him a further disadvantage.

I would not worry as much about Mussina's pitch counts as other pitchers because he has proven to probably be the most reliable and least injury prone starter in baseball. He has never missed a start in his career.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amnorix » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:39 am

Ditto JDH's comments. Don't worry about the fact the two pitchers are playing each other, that's not really a big deal. If you think Halladay is ok to start against even the best lineups, then there's no reason not to start both.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:13 am

Definitely start both

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby tallmike » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:34 am

if you have the room, start both. you'll get contributions in era, whip and k's from both. halladay got hit hard opening day against the Yankees which may merit caution but he's pitched pretty well since then.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:37 am

Tough call. I'd definately start Mussina. I'd flip a coin on starting Halladay. He's facing a potent Yankee lineup that ripped him a new Colon last time out as stated previous. I don't dismiss that but on the other hand good pitchers tend to bounce back. Who knows? Fine start him then ok. Is everyone happy now? Start the stiff.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Comp625 » Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:24 am

I'd bench Halladay. Then again, I'm a more conservative manager as I bench all pitchers who go up against the Yankees. However, I don't kick and punch myself when the benched pitcher does really good. !+)

With that said, Mussina's career numbers against the Bluejays aren't bad at all. If he does well, I think he may pitch 7 or even 8 innings as the bullpen needs rest after last night.
Comp625
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KDOGG » Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:42 am

as good as halladay is i dont think i'd start him against moose and the yankees they are TOO good!
KDOGG
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers