49%
Anahiem Angels
25%
Seattle Mariners
1%

Total votes : 72

Postby shortsavage » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:06 pm

LBJackal wrote:GSes,

The reason you think I always disagree with you is probably because all your opinions have to do with somebody on the A's being great. First Rhodes is a great closer. Then Zito is a great starter. Then Chavez is a great hitter. And the A's will win the West by a huge margin.

Most of your unbiased opinions seem logical, but anything to do with the A's and you're blinded by the light. Sure you'll be right once in a while, and the A's could possibly win the division (I picked the Angels, however), but once in a while avoid the homer pick :-o

I sense a "Is Nomar really that much better than Crosby?" post coming form you soon :-b

Lol Jackal :-D . Everytime Zito gets rocked, I think of GSes (just kidding). I would love to see a why Nomar and Crosby are close to becoming equal post :-B .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:10 pm

Oakland usually catches fire in the 2nd half so I think they have the best shot at winning it. However if Anaheim gets Randy then they definately jump up to the favorites. If they don't, I suspect a 3rd place finish for them.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:41 pm

mikegp wrote:...Who voted for Seattle....? Please give me your addresses so i can visit you and beat the crap outa you :-)

that was Brett Boone and I :-o
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby RynMan » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:00 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Oakland usually catches fire in the 2nd half so I think they have the best shot at winning it. However if Anaheim gets Randy then they definately jump up to the favorites. If they don't, I suspect a 3rd place finish for them.

I dont see how Anaheim getting Randy Johnson makes them the automatic favourties. They were tipped as the favourites at the start of the season, but EVERYONE forgot to look at the most important part of a team's success (in my mind). STARTING PITCHING. And Anaheim seemed to have a solid starter in Colon, and then.....umm.......hang on.......there was someone.......Washburn? Hell, he got tagged for 9 runs tonight against Cleveland in 5 innings! The best thing that team could do is run Scott Shields out to start every 5th day! I do admit, Esobar has been fairly solid. He is the only starter on the staff that has an ERA under 4.

So now with Colon STANK'n the place up, and no other Angels starters doing anything special, I see Johnson giving them a bump, but that is it. A win every 5 days won't get you to the playoffs. The Angels problem has never been their offense, it has been that bridge to get to the best bullpen in baseball - called starting pitching.

As for who will win the west, i'm biased in this argument. I think the A's.

The Rangers are a great young team, but i also think that they suffer from Anaheim Angels' Syndrome. Good bullpen, great offense.....starting pitching is who? Kenny Rogers is throwing great! But then who. I know Madison will help me out here :-)

The M's......tear it down, and build it up again.

And then there's the A's. A great second half team, yeah but that doesn't count for anything in my mind seeing as though half of the team from last year have moved on, and their centrepiece offensive player last year, was a fantastic second half player. But the A's have without question the best rotation in the West. And as it stands, they have battled on offensively without Chavez. They are 9th in the majors in batting average (I was shocked that they were that high). In my opinion, if you keep a game close with great pitching, it is easier to score those couple of runs that you need to win, and in my playing experience, it is easier to win games that way. I would rather be in that situation, than have your pitcher serving it up, and having to play catchup with your offense all day. The cleveland indians are 2nd in the majors in runs scored, but they are only playing .495 baseball because their pitching is so weak.

So. In my opinion starting pitching is so important in this game, to the point where it is so hard to be successful without it. The A's have shown that they have had the offense to go with it, so I see no reason why they can't keep it up. But i guess could also make the point of, by my reasoning, why cant the rangers' starters keep it up like they have been? I guess maybe they can. I would just prefer to have to worry less about my pitching, than my offense. But hey, like i said earlier, I am biased. :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:09 am

ttt
Aggie_Eric98
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:15 am

The thing about Texas is their offense is so good that their starting pitchers can afford to give up 4 or 5 runs and most of the time the offense will score more.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Rico The Retard » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:38 am

go MARINERS
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Aggie_Eric98 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:06 am

Well the more you guys doubt the Rangers the better they play. They now lead the Division by 3.5 games and the next 11 are vs the Angles and A's
Aggie_Eric98
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Longhorns76 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:53 am

Aggie_Eric98 wrote:dang, no one likes my Rangers

I love our Rangers. If they can keep their bullpen playing like they have been and get a healthy Jeff Nelson back later in the year then they might be able to impersonate the Angels of two years ago.

However, it is a tough division and both the Angels and A's worry me. The team that doesn't lose to the Mariners the most will probably win the division.
"Relievers are like volatile stocks. They're the one asset you need to watch closely, and trade for quick profits." --Billy Beane
Longhorns76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby slomo007 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:05 am

The Rangers will win it IMO. Their pitching hasn't collapsed yet, and it's almost August. It's time to convert if you haven't already...I know I believe.

By the way, as I've been saying for months, if Ryan Drese is still available in your league and you want a low ERA/WHIP pitcher who can get wins...PICK HIM UP.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers