Cafe Challenge standings. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cafe Challenge standings.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Erboes » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:39 am

Madison wrote:
Erboes wrote:To give an honest critique of our site, the projections have been excellent (this is no empty boast either. We've been comparing them to other pay, free and magazine projections throughout the season and we're beating them all),

How's the Larry Walker projection turning out? :-D

Just giving you a hard time. Lol. :-b

Anyway, the real reason why I'm in this thread was that I thought Jackal had to change his avatar :-? . I remember the challenge when it came about and had it been his name, I'd have mentioned that changing names isn't something that happens here. :-? Avatars and sigs are wide open though. B-)

I'm pretty sure it was the name, but if I win this I'm not going to hold it to him anyway. His eternal shame is enough for me.

There were some bad ones, no doubt, Madison. Larry Walker was one of them. I will say this, though, Walker came cheaply, and his numbers so far are actually pretty good, but when you are dealing with Walker injuries are part of the game. Some others we missed on where Miguel Cabrera, Blalock, Steve Finley and Moises Alou of the hitters. I will not get too specific on the ones we hit on, but I'll just drop a few names -- V. Martinez (I pleaded with you guys to take him if you recall), Casey, Dunn, Drew, Abreu over Sosa (I pleaded on this one too I think), Crawford, Jeter and Tejada over Nomar and Rentaria, just to name a few. This isn't an exact science, Madison, and there are going to be misses, but we'll hold up our numbers against anyone's. We're also planning on putting up on our site the last projections before the season began once this season is over. I believe non-subscribers will be able to check these out as well.

And before anyone mentions Sosa, we stated over and over that Sosa will get his HR's, it's the other numbers that make him overvalued. He's doing slightly better than we expected, but nowhere close to what he should be doing in comparison to where he was going in most drafts. This is why we called him a bad value.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Erboes » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:40 am

Sorry about that, Pedantic is in second place.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:25 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Why do I think the only reason this was posted by Erboes is because Erboes is winning ;-)

I agree. What about the 2 months that passed since the last update?? :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:28 pm

Erboes wrote:
Madison wrote:
Erboes wrote:To give an honest critique of our site, the projections have been excellent (this is no empty boast either. We've been comparing them to other pay, free and magazine projections throughout the season and we're beating them all),

How's the Larry Walker projection turning out? :-D

Just giving you a hard time. Lol. :-b

Anyway, the real reason why I'm in this thread was that I thought Jackal had to change his avatar :-? . I remember the challenge when it came about and had it been his name, I'd have mentioned that changing names isn't something that happens here. :-? Avatars and sigs are wide open though. B-)

I'm pretty sure it was the name, but if I win this I'm not going to hold it to him anyway. His eternal shame is enough for me.

There were some bad ones, no doubt, Madison. Larry Walker was one of them. I will say this, though, Walker came cheaply, and his numbers so far are actually pretty good, but when you are dealing with Walker injuries are part of the game. Some others we missed on where Miguel Cabrera, Blalock, Steve Finley and Moises Alou of the hitters. I will not get too specific on the ones we hit on, but I'll just drop a few names -- V. Martinez (I pleaded with you guys to take him if you recall), Casey, Dunn, Drew, Abreu over Sosa (I pleaded on this one too I think), Crawford, Jeter and Tejada over Nomar and Rentaria, just to name a few. This isn't an exact science, Madison, and there are going to be misses, but we'll hold up our numbers against anyone's. We're also planning on putting up on our site the last projections before the season began once this season is over. I believe non-subscribers will be able to check these out as well.

And before anyone mentions Sosa, we stated over and over that Sosa will get his HR's, it's the other numbers that make him overvalued. He's doing slightly better than we expected, but nowhere close to what he should be doing in comparison to where he was going in most drafts. This is why we called him a bad value.

LOL. That's like saying that Mario Lemieux had a good year last year because he averaged almost a point-per-game (9 in 10 games). I vaguely remember someone touting Walker as getting 500+ AB's this year. 8-o

Actually, I think the exact number was 506. :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:53 pm

Erboes wrote:There were some bad ones, no doubt, Madison. Larry Walker was one of them. I will say this, though, Walker came cheaply, and his numbers so far are actually pretty good, but when you are dealing with Walker injuries are part of the game. Some others we missed on where Miguel Cabrera, Blalock, Steve Finley and Moises Alou of the hitters. I will not get too specific on the ones we hit on, but I'll just drop a few names -- V. Martinez (I pleaded with you guys to take him if you recall), Casey, Dunn, Drew, Abreu over Sosa (I pleaded on this one too I think), Crawford, Jeter and Tejada over Nomar and Rentaria, just to name a few. This isn't an exact science, Madison, and there are going to be misses, but we'll hold up our numbers against anyone's. We're also planning on putting up on our site the last projections before the season began once this season is over. I believe non-subscribers will be able to check these out as well.

I was just picking on you ;-) . Walker just stood out due to the debates. I'm sure you guys pegged some right on the button and we all miss a few predictions each year. I do remember you touting Victor Martinez ;-D . It was meant just in good natured ribbing. :-)

Question though, you mentioned hitting on Dunn. :-? I'm guessing that you are not including leagues that use average, right? That .264 average is a killer in a roto league. Brings down the entire team's average by around 5 points. Not worth the tradeoff for a few homers at two of the deepest positions in all of baseball (1B, OF). OBP of .407 is nice, but I still suggest that anyone in a standard 5x5 that uses average, avoid him. More damage than value there.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Erboes » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:17 pm

Lofunzo,

I've been in first for over 6 weeks. If I were being petty I would have first posted back then.

I was incorrect about Walker. What more do you want me to say? My point was at the time and I still agree with it, Walker can still hit, which is why I had him with good numbers.

Madison,

Dunn is on pace for, roughly, these numbers: .264-100-45-100-7. Of these stats, only in average is he a liability, but not as badly as many have predicted. These are roughly equal to what I had for Sosa, give or take a few RBI's and less the steals, but the difference between a second round Sosa and 14th round Dunn (where I drafted him in the Cafe Challenge) is not that large other than the draft slot, so I consider Dunn a projection success so far, considering that is about the numbers I had for him to start the season. It's all relative.

Still, it is way to early to consider these things successes or failures. There's a lot of ball yet to be played and Dunn could go into a huge funk (which is why I'm trying to trade him in the Cafe league).
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:39 pm

erboes.......I was kidding. Hence, the :-D . You are allowed to make mistakes. Even Tiger Woods hits it into the water once in a while. ;-)
Lofunzo

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:47 pm

I must say - Erboes dominance of the Cafe Challenge has been quite impressive. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers