"David Ortiz won't even be top 5 1B material this year" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"David Ortiz won't even be top 5 1B material this year"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: no way

Postby TheAbreu » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:33 pm

JOEG wrote:I don't believe for a second that anyone predicted this good of a year for him!

Obviously, no one predicted THIS good. But I can't see how people can doubt that he wouldn't be a top contributor this season after those ridiculous numbers he put up last season. That's the point
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: no way

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:37 pm

TheAbreu wrote:
JOEG wrote:I don't believe for a second that anyone predicted this good of a year for him!

Obviously, no one predicted THIS good. But I can't see how people can doubt that he wouldn't be a top contributor this season after those ridiculous numbers he put up last season. That's the point

A lot of guys have enormous halves, it's just that he hadn't done anything quite like that before so people porbably didn't expext him to be a monster this year. Plus before the year started there were some concerns about a platoon split which cut his value quite a bit.

Why exactly besides the swagger do you hate him? Personally, I love his energy and excitement, and that he is dominican.

Note: He and Thome are Real Power and are on my sig.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

e

Postby JOEG » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:40 pm

OK I thought I read that people predicting him to be one of the top 1B's which would of been a very aggressive prediction with how many great 1B's there are. I personally thought he'd be around 10th or so, maybe a little higher. I am impressed with how solid he's been. In my points league, he's 5th, behind Lyle Overbay.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheAbreu » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:50 pm

I just don't like Ortiz because he comes off very arrogant with that swagger of his, he's fat, and he can't do no wrong against my team(the Yanks). I guess, with all things considered, hating him should be considered a compliment because that just shows how bad he hits the Yanks. He could go up to the plate blindfolded and still hit them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all Yankee killers, I just can't stand him and Manny especially because they seem so damn arrogant and showboatish.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby INKcogKNEEdough » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 pm

count me among the idiots, guilty your honor. I really did not expect anything close to what he has put up this year. I didn't expect him to go back to his 'twin' days but i thought he would fall off some from last year. Without even blinking i know without a doubt preseason i had him 5th at BEST behind Pujols,Helton,Thome,Delgado. Even now if i were drafting today i think i would stick with those rankings,though i would probably bump him up in front of Delgado while closing my eyes and dreading the inevitable Delgado explosion that would make me look foolish.

INK
"There was shrinkage!".....(George costanza)

Http://www.briliantdonkey.blogspot.com
INKcogKNEEdough
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:29 pm

TheAbreu wrote:Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all Yankee killers, I just can't stand him and Manny especially because they seem so damn arrogant and showboatish.

I don't really see where you get the arrogant idea. I like Manny actually- the US citizen thing did it for me. But Ortiz reminds me too much of Big Mo :-/
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:33 pm

Took him in round six in my 18 team league. Thought .300-30-100 was within reason. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to see that he's on pace to obliterate those projections.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:36 pm

thehat wrote:Took him in round six in my 18 team league. Thought .300-30-100 was within reason. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to see that he's on pace to obliterate those projections.

I wouldn't say he'll obliterate .300, in fact I don't think he'll even hit .300, but he'll surely beat out your hr and rbi projections easily.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:38 pm

blankman wrote:
thehat wrote:Took him in round six in my 18 team league. Thought .300-30-100 was within reason. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to see that he's on pace to obliterate those projections.

I wouldn't say he'll obliterate .300, in fact I don't think he'll even hit .300, but he'll surely beat out your hr and rbi projections easily.

That's what I meant. He can end up at .275 and he'd still prove to have been a bargain with the other numbers.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers