"David Ortiz won't even be top 5 1B material this year" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

"David Ortiz won't even be top 5 1B material this year"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

"David Ortiz won't even be top 5 1B material this year"

Postby HolyCow101 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:24 pm

That's what they said after I picked him up. :-D

Eat crow non-believers. 83 RBI's for Mr. Ortiz. ;-D
New York Yankees - 2005 WS Champions!
HolyCow101
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheAbreu » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:29 pm

I think Ortiz was a non-brainer entering this year. His numbers last second half were second to no one, he was guaranteed everyday playing time this year, he bats in the best lineup in the league IMO, and Fenway Park was extremely condusive to hitters. I don't think people should brag about drafting him. It takes idiots to doubt him, not to have believed in him.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby josebach » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:35 pm

TheAbreu wrote:I think Ortiz was a non-brainer entering this year. His numbers last second half were second to no one, he was guaranteed everyday playing time this year, he bats in the best lineup in the league IMO, and Fenway Park was extremely condusive to hitters. I don't think people should brag about drafting him. It takes idiots to doubt him, not to have believed in him.

If it was a no brainer, why was he not ranked as a top ten firstbaseman at the beginning of the season? Let me guess, you don't have him.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:50 pm

i saw him play regularly last year (me being a red socks national, you know.. )... i expected 35 dingers 100+ ribbies but this is just awesome. ;-D

i have him in quite a few leagues but in one of 'em preseason i dealt him away in a package for John Jruk's mommy. !+)
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:51 pm

the big factor imo is that hes hitting in front of Manny. ;-D
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:02 pm

tell you what, a guy in my league -- who is known for makign one brilliant move then two stupid ones, picked him in the fifth round this year, and was roundly criticized. pretty good move if you ask me. only problem is next year he will probably be overhyped.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pokey » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:14 pm

thetongueofire wrote:the big factor imo is that hes hitting in front of Manny. ;-D

I don't think that's as big of a factor as people think, he didn't hit ahead of Manny today, and what did he do? 4 RBI's and a double short of the cycle, he didn't have Manny there last night either when he launched a homerun. And remember he was hitting 5th, after Manny during his monster 2nd half to the 2003 season.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby perlick29 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:14 pm

TheAbreu wrote:I think Ortiz was a non-brainer entering this year. His numbers last second half were second to no one, he was guaranteed everyday playing time this year, he bats in the best lineup in the league IMO, and Fenway Park was extremely condusive to hitters. I don't think people should brag about drafting him. It takes idiots to doubt him, not to have believed in him.

Don't take this the wrong, but is it possible you are lying?

He did put up great numbers 2nd half last year, but no brainer top 5 is going too far before the season started.

I drafted him in the 11th round this year, hardly a round where people think top 5 from any position. Granted that's just my league, and granted as soon as I drafted him I thought "steal of the draft" but still I wouldn't have expected this from a guy I use as my Util with thome playing first.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheAbreu » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:29 pm

Trust me, I'm not lying. I hate that fat mofo badder than anyone in baseball. I fully expected him to do what he's doing this year, since I hate him so much. I drafted him in my main league and quickly traded him for Thome, passing on Bagwell, because I couldn't stand having him on my team. In my off-season 1B rankings, I had him behind Helton, Pujols, Thome, and Delgado. Obviously I was wrong with Delgado being ahead, and you can say he's been better than any of those guys this year, but you can't say I doubted the guy. I just can't stand people bragging about drafting him as if it was such a clever move. The guy went 31 and 100 RBIs in limited time last year, absolutely going nuts in the second half when he finally got a chance to play. Plus, he showed no signs in the off-season, tearing the cover off the ball in the Dominican and Spring Training, of being a fluke. I'm sorry for my anger, it's just I hate Ortiz so much. I didn't doubt the guy at all. I'm just sick of him and that stupid swagger he carries to the plate and after he homers. I'm so pissed Contreras missed in the playoffs. Contreras might actually be a favorite pitcher of mine if he would have connected. Go eat more hot dogs Ortiz.
Last edited by TheAbreu on Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheAbreu
College Coach
College Coach

no way

Postby JOEG » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:32 pm

I don't believe for a second that anyone predicted this good of a year for him!
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers