Is this strategy OK? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is this strategy OK?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this strategy OK?

Postby bboy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:31 am

If you've blown you IP early is it within the spirit of FBB to keep picking up pitchers so other don't get a shot?
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:35 am

It sounds like you want to roster churn and its not within the spirit of FBB. The spirit is normally to give the feel of real life baseball as much as possible.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby Madison » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:38 am

By that you mean picking up pitchers and dropping them to waivers so no one can get them for a few days?

Completely unethical and can cause you to lose league privilidges at several sites including Yahoo. I would not recommend trying it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KPucks » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:47 am

Madison wrote:By that you mean picking up pitchers and dropping them to waivers so no one can get them for a few days?

Completely unethical and can cause you to lose league privilidges at several sites including Yahoo. I would not recommend trying it.

I agree. Roster churning gets a big :-t
KPucks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby shortsavage » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:58 am

If I had reached my innings cap in my NL-only league and a star pitcher was traded to the NL from the AL, I would certainly use a waiver priority to pick him up so that other owners could not use him.

Similarly if I pitcher that I liked for the 2nd half was a FA, I would pick him up before one of my competitors thought about it.

Unless you plan to try to invoke chaos on the waiver wire (as mentioned previously), I do not see any problem with your strategy.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bboy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:59 am

No I mean actually picking up pitchers and keeping them on the roster e.g. Mr Hot even though their stats do not count, not roster churning. Basically the same as keeping your existing pitchers on the roster once you IP has finished i suppose?

I probably wont blow my IP by too much but some in our league are quite a bit over.
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:01 am

bboy wrote:No I mean actually picking up pitchers and keeping them on the roster e.g. Mr Hot even though their stats do not count, not roster churning. Basically the same as keeping your existing pitchers on the roster once you IP has finished i suppose?

I probably wont blow my IP by too much but some in our league are quite a bit over.

Yeah, that is much different than roster churning, I don't see any problem with that at all. It's a very good strategy to use. It can also net trade offers from owners needing to make up innings.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby blankman » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:02 am

bboy wrote:No I mean actually picking up pitchers and keeping them on the roster e.g. Mr Hot even though their stats do not count, not roster churning. Basically the same as keeping your existing pitchers on the roster once you IP has finished i suppose?

If thats the case, I see nothing wrong with it. There is no rule that says you should drop your pitchers after your limit is up. It would be stupid to drop them strategically.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:08 am

Nah, that's fine. Most people do that once they burn up their innings. No problems with that. ;-D

As long as it's not the churning thing. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers