MIKE PIAZZA: dead or alive? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MIKE PIAZZA: dead or alive?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MIKE PIAZZA: dead or alive?

Postby Billy's Beane's » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:56 pm

I've been picking up and dropping catchers all season long. Right now I have Joe Mauer, but he's hurt again.

I now have a chance to trade for Piazza. I was offered Piazza and Dotel for Jose Guillen.

My current outfield is Vlad, Guillen, Sosa, and Berkman as Util. I have Hafner ready to jump into the Util spot to make up for the loss in runs and rbi, and piazza would make up for the hr (i hope at least)

I use a reliever strategy in my 5x5 league, so i would really like to gain the k/inning ratio of Dotel.

Basically, I guess my question is, do you think the hr piazza had tonight is a sign that he's not quite dead yet? Do you think he'll come out of his recent funk and finish the year over 30 hr? That's all i'm really hoping for out of him.

Thanks!
Billy's Beane's
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Billy's Beane's » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:58 pm

by the way, this is not a trade question, i'm just looking for input on what you think piazza will do the rest of the way....

thanks
Billy's Beane's
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jbones733 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:06 pm

as for Piazza, im sure hes not dead, i think hee will be fine, as for the trade i would do it in a heatbeat, u get 2 studs for 1
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Honus » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:07 pm

I think Piazza is pretty much washed up. If I were in your shoes, I'd try to trade one of your outfielders (particularly Sosa or Berkman) for a younger guy like Victor Martinez or Craig Wilson. You won't lose anything if you have Hafner to put in your utility slot.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Fireball Express » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:41 pm

Piazza is not dead. He has been known to go into slumps. He's also been know to go on tears. He has a history of wearing down near the end of a season. However, this was apparent because he played catcher for so many games. Now the Mets have him at 1B and C. Will he wear down as much? Probably not if the situation stays the same. Going foward I think we'll see Piazza behind the plate more. The Mets' catchers are horrid. Neither Philips or Wilson deserve to start behind the plate. Also by catching Piazza, Art Howe can get Eric Valent's bat and glove (I cringe while watch Big Mike play 1B) in the line up, or Shane Spencer's ala the other night. Also if the Met's somehow bring up Wright and DON"T trade Wiggy, Wiggy will find himself playing first.
In conclusion, I think Piazza will still put up decent numbers. I wouldn't expect anything crazy, yet he'll be somewhat productive.

As for the trade side of it, I like your deal. Though I thought Mauer will only out for a few days, though sore knees on a catcher is scary.

Finding a good Free Agent C is difficult. Your chances of hooking up with a hot Utl Player are a lot greater. Dotel is a nice move too if it helps your LIMA Plan.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby thetongueofire » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:52 pm

that deal is crazzzyyyy. do iiiit !!! ;-D

Pizza's fine as long as he doesnt play catcher everygame and the guys around him in the linup can stay relatively healthy.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:09 am

I answered this question in the other forum.

You shouldn't post the same question in 2 forums...tsk, tsk.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:53 am

Yes make the deal. Is Piazza the hitter he once was? No. He's still a great hitter and still a great fantasy option at catcher. Anyone who thinks he is washed either doesn't pay much attention to baseball or is just hating. He is in a bad slump right now and it's a great time to buy him low. Guess you can't get much lower than the deal offered to you. :-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Rirruto » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:00 am

Piazza will be going on another tear very soon. I'm glad that Art Howe is giving him the day off tomorrow, he needs a day to rest and has been quoted saying that he has been fatigued as of late.

You have to be crazy if you think Piazza is washed up, were you ignoring the first 3 months of the season? He was practically the only offensive force and carried the Mets when Reyes, Floyd, Matsui were not playing well and/or injured. He is due for a hot streak, all great players balance out their slumps with tearing the cover off the ball for a few weeks. ;-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers