Straw returns to NY - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Mets

Straw returns to NY

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Straw returns to NY

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:29 pm

Did anyone see this?

Growing up, he was always my favorite player. Oh, hell, I'll start at the beginning.

When I was about 7 (1984), my father and I were in a fight. I enjoyed playing baseball, but didn't follow the game too much. Without a team up at Coors for another decade, I just wasn't invested. But while my father and I were fighting, I sat down to watch a game with him: Giants v. Mets. He is a huge Giants fan so I began rooting for the Mets. He told me that I was just doing it to make him mad. I told him that I was a die-hard Mets fan. He told me that I should hate the Mets, and held up Darryl as an example why. I won't get into his reasons, but I adopted Straw as my favorite then and there.

About 5 years later, we took a trip up to NYC. I got separated from my family and started talking to a cop. He was a huge Mets fan, as was I. He sat and talked to me about the Mets while we waited for my family to show back up. They did show up, and he invited us to see a game that night with him. He had some great season tickets, and got us in before the game. We got to walk around on the field and meet players (I distinctly remember thinking about how fat Tony Gwynn was). I met Frank Cashen (I think. The GM didn't mean much to me then, but I know I got to meet the GM.) and a few others. Then I got to meet Strawberry, who I complimented on being very tall. He let me try on his Jersey, which was enormous. Helluva nice guy. Gave me some bats and the like.

Finally, I got to watch a good portion of the game from the groundskeeper's tunnel, which is (if memory serves) directly behind home on field level. I'm still shocked at how fast those pitches came in.

So, at least from one Mets fan, Welcome back Straw. Thanks for everything.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:45 pm

way to get back at your dad, there AA :-D :-D

if you want to really get back at your dad, the darryl strawberry website is for sale, if you are interested...

NEWS - 2/27/05:

http://www.DarrylStrawberry.org for sale.
I have been webmaster for http://www.darrylstrawberry.org since origin, perhaps 8 years ago. I have updated frequently during that time, but I just don't have time to maintain the site any longer. If you are interested in keeping Darryl's legacy going through this site, please let me know. Asking price is $2500.

also darryl was back in NY feb 27, along with gary carter, tim teufel, and hojo at shea stadium signing autographs .... hope u got a chance to see him and get a autograph :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:48 pm

I missed this the first time around but thanks to the tenacious RUMP I came across it. Nice story. ;-D

Reuniting the fan base with their beloved '86ers was one of the brightest things that Omar did. He's a smart man who understands Mets fans.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:50 pm

Amazinz wrote:I missed this the first time around but thanks to the tenacious RUMP I came across it. Nice story. ;-D

Reuniting the fan base with their beloved '86ers was one of the brightest things that Omar did. He's a smart man who understands Mets fans.

your welcome :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to New York Mets