Gathright Called Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gathright Called Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jul 18, 2004 4:03 am

thehat wrote:
LBJackal wrote:
Bottom line: Gathright has MUCH higher expectations than Goodwin, and rightfully so. He could be better than Crawford in terms of SB's and BA........ but he's a tiny guy (5'10" 175) so his power will be a lot lower probably. Then again, Bret Boone is the same size and weight, so ya never know. He could develop power down the road. All he needs is some roids.

I'll respectfully disagree from the expectation standpoint. Goodwin was a first round pick who a lot of folks thought was going to be a big star. It never happened, primarily because he was never strong enough to handle anything inside. Right now, Gathright is much the same. He's also a miserable outfielder from what I've seen and heard. He does have decent plate discipline, which is good for a speed guy.

I can't fault anyone for taking a shot at him if they really need SB's, but I think he's going to be overvalued somewhat.

His minor league OBA is almost 70 points higher than Goodwin's....... and Gathright did this at age 21/22 while Goodwin was 24/25/26 in the minors putting up worse stats.

You can respectfully disagree all you want, but Gathright is a much better prospect than Goodwin ever was. He doesn't get much press outside fantasy circles but he's a much better bet than Goodwin was to succeed.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:04 am

LB.....Goodwin was a first round draft choice. Gathright was a 32nd round draft choice. I agree that Gathright's stock has risen, but to say that he has always been a better prospect than Goodwin was is ludicrous. Just look at the draft positions!

The fact...and this is not opinion, but absolute and undeniable fact...is that Goodwin was a huge prospect that a lot of people thought might rewrite the SB record books. And while he clearly never lived up to billing, he wasn't exactly a bum. He put together some solid years in KC in the mid-90's and wasn't awful in Texas after that.

I'm not saying Gathright won't be better than Goodwin. Maybe, maybe not. That's a matter of opinion, so we'll have to wait and see.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Well

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 am

Gathright doesn't have an amazing OBP, but most of these speed guys don't. Why would you walk a guy who can immediately steal second?

Also, he's had like 3 extra base hits this year. Like Juan Pierre, all he hits is singles. So if you're a pitcher, there is no point in trying to pitch around him, the worst that will happen is a single. They pipe it down the plate, and he's forced to hit.

Personally, I think the SB factor makes this guy have a chance to be one of the most valuable mid-season call-ups fantasy wise.
Help me pick my keepers? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=419885
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Well

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 am

Gathright doesn't have an amazing OBP, but most of these speed guys don't. Why would you walk a guy who can immediately steal second?

Also, he's had like 3 extra base hits this year. Like Juan Pierre, all he hits is singles. So if you're a pitcher, there is no point in trying to pitch around him, the worst that will happen is a single. They pipe it down the plate, and he's forced to hit.

Personally, I think the SB factor makes this guy have a chance to be one of the most valuable mid-season call-ups fantasy wise.
Help me pick my keepers? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=419885
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:24 am

thehat wrote:LB.....Goodwin was a first round draft choice. Gathright was a 32nd round draft choice. I agree that Gathright's stock has risen, but to say that he has always been a better prospect than Goodwin was is ludicrous. Just look at the draft positions!

The fact...and this is not opinion, but absolute and undeniable fact...is that Goodwin was a huge prospect that a lot of people thought might rewrite the SB record books. And while he clearly never lived up to billing, he wasn't exactly a bum. He put together some solid years in KC in the mid-90's and wasn't awful in Texas after that.

I'm not saying Gathright won't be better than Goodwin. Maybe, maybe not. That's a matter of opinion, so we'll have to wait and see.

I don't care how Gathright was ranked, 2 or 3 years ago.

He's better than Goodwin ever was in the minor leagues. Much better, at a much younger age. That's all that counts, really.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Krunk City King$ » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:35 pm

joshheines wrote:Gathright is no Tom Goodwin. Gathright is very good at getting on base. His AVG thorughout the minors is incredible .320 +. His OBP isn't as good maybe around .360-.370 but that's not bad. With Crawford, Baldelli and Huff hitting behidn him he should be a great source of runs, SB and AVG.

;-D

i do not know where all of these "he is one dimensonal and he cannot hit posts" are coming from.

look up his MLb numbers along with his minor league numbers and you will see that he is above decent.

i played against him during the week before he got sent back down. he stole 3 bases in 3 days against me. i was sick of seeing him on base. i would watch the devil rays' games on line because i had huff and baldelli (who was hurt).

and didn't he hit around .500 and steal 5 bases during the week that he was sent back down to the minors? 8-o

if he couldn't hit major league pitching, then he would not have gotten called up....
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers