Gathright Called Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gathright Called Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pomplona's finest » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:17 am

I only see Gathright having legit value in very deep leagues for this year.

He'll be a part time player. He'll offer zero production aside from the SB's. That's not to say that his steals aren't of some use, but I sure wouldn't be picking him up at the expense of anyone decent.

damn right ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Uh unh

Postby Iguana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:24 am

Gathright is mad valuable. This guy is considered the fastest guy in baseball, majors or minors. He could seriously average a SB every game or two for the rest of the year. Snap him up while you can.
Help me pick my keepers? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=419885
Iguana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Uh unh

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:30 am

Iguana wrote:Gathright is mad valuable. This guy is considered the fastest guy in baseball, majors or minors. He could seriously average a SB every game or two for the rest of the year. Snap him up while you can.

He would have to get on base at least once a game to do that. Tom Goodwin was a very fast guy, but he never had much value.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Registered_Guest » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:37 am

Rey should be gone soon enough. Thank god McGruff and Rolls are gone already.

No doubt I'd get Gathright -- if you haven't already. Very easily could steal 25 bases the rest of the way.
Registered_Guest
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joshheines » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:38 am

Gathright is no Tom Goodwin. Gathright is very good at getting on base. His AVG thorughout the minors is incredible .320 +. His OBP isn't as good maybe around .360-.370 but that's not bad. With Crawford, Baldelli and Huff hitting behidn him he should be a great source of runs, SB and AVG.
It's easy, fun, and 100% safe!
joshheines
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:57 am

joshheines wrote:Gathright is no Tom Goodwin. Gathright is very good at getting on base. His AVG thorughout the minors is incredible .320 +. His OBP isn't as good maybe around .360-.370 but that's not bad. With Crawford, Baldelli and Huff hitting behidn him he should be a great source of runs, SB and AVG.

Well the Goodwin reference was mainly to show that being the fastest player in baseball doesn't mean a whole lot. He has shown a tendancy to strikeout quite a bit and not draw many walks. Against major league pitching and defence he still has some big holes. I am not saying the guy will never be any good, only that his rookie value isn't as high as some are making it out to be. I'm guessing he bats in the .270 range with 10-15 steals the rest of the way. Not horrible by a long stretch, but not eye-popping.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby LBJackal » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:11 am

Goodwin's minor league OBA was .333, and he was older than Gathright for the majority of his MiLB career. Gathright, at age 22, has a career MiLB OBA of close to .400 so I don't think the comparisons, for anyhting other than speed, are valid. He's stealing more successfully than Goodwin, to boot. And Gathright attempts more steals than Goodwin did.

Bottom line: Gathright has MUCH higher expectations than Goodwin, and rightfully so. He could be better than Crawford in terms of SB's and BA........ but he's a tiny guy (5'10" 175) so his power will be a lot lower probably. Then again, Bret Boone is the same size and weight, so ya never know. He could develop power down the road. All he needs is some roids.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Tavish » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:18 am

Gathright, at age 22, has a career MiLB OBA of close to .400 so I don't think the comparisons, for anyhting other than speed, are valid.

Thats good, because that was the only comparison I made. :-b

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby thehat » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:20 am

LBJackal wrote:
Bottom line: Gathright has MUCH higher expectations than Goodwin, and rightfully so. He could be better than Crawford in terms of SB's and BA........ but he's a tiny guy (5'10" 175) so his power will be a lot lower probably. Then again, Bret Boone is the same size and weight, so ya never know. He could develop power down the road. All he needs is some roids.

I'll respectfully disagree from the expectation standpoint. Goodwin was a first round pick who a lot of folks thought was going to be a big star. It never happened, primarily because he was never strong enough to handle anything inside. Right now, Gathright is much the same. He's also a miserable outfielder from what I've seen and heard. He does have decent plate discipline, which is good for a speed guy.

I can't fault anyone for taking a shot at him if they really need SB's, but I think he's going to be overvalued somewhat.
thehat
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:40 am

dropped Marte and picked Gathright up in a league where I need ratio help, kind of shaky on that decision in retrospect...

we'll see
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers