How do you use your bench? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How do you use your bench?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How do you use your bench?

Postby john gardner » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:48 pm

Managing my "bench" seems to be what I spend my time on. I like to have a back-up catcher for the "day-off" or "day game after nite game". One of my teams is saving Mueller(3b boston) to fill in for Castillo when Colarado is out of town. One team has some middle relievers holding the job, waiting for the next closer.......

So, what do you do with yours???? B-)
You never can tell...the depth of the well...by the length of the handle on the pump..
john gardner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Stunners » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:38 pm

I actually keep a very limited number of hitters, got like mark bellhorn and frank thomas on dl, and then a bunch of pitchers. I am really conserative with my pitchers and only start schilling every game. This way i have managed to keep dontrelle willis with a 2.95 era acutally pitched for me innings, and other guys pretty low. System has worked very well besides the fact I get really freaking pissed when an sp does well on the bench.
Stunners
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:40 pm

It depends. In standard H2H leagues, I like to keep pitchers on my bench. In a roto league, I usually go with best available.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby wkelly91 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:24 pm

I am in a 12 team 5 x 5 and have been in 1st since week two. I keep one position player with some IF and Of eligability. The rest are all pitchers.

I keep Baez, Benitez, Nathan, and Riske in all the time and rotate 10 starters in and out. Because no one else is doing this I am leading in K's even though my Kd9 is among the lowest. I am also leading in wins, even though my percentage of quality starts is lower than others. ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beltrans_boy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:29 pm

In my main league...I keep multiple-eligibility guys like Aubrey Huff and Craig Wilson to fill in just in case some of my studs get injured.

I've got 2 guys, and they can fill every position except SS and 2B. Thankfully, I haven't been forced to use them very much, but they've been working out quite well.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:14 pm

beltrans_boy wrote:In my main league...I keep multiple-eligibility guys like Aubrey Huff and Craig Wilson to fill in just in case some of my studs get injured.

I've got 2 guys, and they can fill every position except SS and 2B. Thankfully, I haven't been forced to use them very much, but they've been working out quite well.

Wow, you must have a pretty good team if Huff and Wilson are on your bench. Anyway I use my bench mostly for pitchers and a few multi position players.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby John Bonzo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:51 am

On a 4 bench league, i keep 1 hitter on the bench, 2 pitchers, and one spot i leave open to do my spot starts for monday games and such for hitters (and occasionally pitchers, depending how i am doing with the innings limit).
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbones733 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:13 am

right now, i got my every day lineup, set, When l Nix plays vs righties hes in there, if a hes out cause a lefty is pitching, i go w Bellhorn or Klesko, Bellhorn was my 2nd basemen but he lost his job to M Giles :-D when i traded for himm :-D :-D
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bunyan » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:27 am

i play matchups because my team is so hard to determine who should be the starters, as for relievers, i have 4 closers who always play, and then play my SP when they pitch i have six of them
but seriously, can anyone come up with a starting lineup with these players? i know jason bay only hits righties, and only start castilla at home, and piazza sucks at home, i know all this because of all the shifting i do...also i can interchange any position in my lineup except SS and 2B...but if you guys have any suggestions about my what my starting lineup should be that would help:

C V. Martínez (Cle - C) hits lefties better, and at home
1B D. Ortiz (Bos - 1B,DH) can't hit lefties as well
2B A. Soriano (Tex - 2B)
3B C. Jones (Atl - 3B,LF)
SS D. Jeter (NYY - SS)
OF A. Huff (TB - 1B,3B,RF,DH)
OF C. Lee (CWS - LF)
OF J. Bay (Pit - LF) only vs righties
Util V. Castilla (Col - 3B) only at home
Util V. Wells (Tor - CF)
BN G. Anderson (Ana - LF,CF,DH) sucks at home
BN M. Piazza (NYM - C,1B) mostly on the road
DL A. BooneDL (Cle - 2B,3B)

SP J. Santana (Min - SP,RP)
SP B. Sheets (Mil - SP)
SP C. Pavano (Fla - SP)
RP E. Gagne (LA - RP)
RP S. Takatsu (CWS - RP)
P B. Lidge (Hou - RP)
P T. Percival (Ana - RP)
BN J. Vázquez (NYY - SP)
BN A. Pettitte (Hou - SP)
BN J. Piñeiro (Sea - SP)
DL W. MillerDL (Hou - SP)
bunyan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bboy » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:31 am

I basically just pick up the best around although I am roatating my OF and only starting Larry Walker at home (until he get injured of course ;-) )
bboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers