Should I throw these owners out? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I throw these owners out?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Surfs up » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:08 pm

I am in a 16 team keeper mixed and there are a couple of owners that don't even respond to email.They do mangae their teams. We do weekly.They don't do trades . But they have been in this league for several years. I am a more active owner. Probably the most active. I have fun with it. Afterall it is just a game. If they pay their money let them play the way they want. As long as it's all honest. Plus if they take all the crappy no names that leaves the rest of you with better choices. ;-D Remember Just have fun!!
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 260)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby big shot » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:10 pm

how would you like if some power hungry commish axed your team?
big shot
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: re

Postby dannahann » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:16 pm

I really don't see the issue you have here and surely don't see any grounds to terminate these guys? ESPECIALLY mid season? There have to be teams near the at/near the bottom of EVERY league EVERY season.

It's a dynasty league and they're so diffrent. That your losing owners are actively tending to their teams is a good sign. That they aren't moving their players in "hope to hit the lottery" type trades and risky moves is also GOOD IMO. Matter of fact, I'd want most bottom feeders in any dynasty league to do the same. Owners manage and participate differently and these guys could very likely be patiently building for the long term. ie building a dynasty.

ny69mets86 wrote:One of them took Bryan Bullington EIGHTH overall in our recent prospect draft. Over guys like Wright, McPherson, Kazmir, Felix Hernandez to name a few. I can't tell people HOW to manage their teams, but that bleeds incompetency.

Who knows how this will wash out? Speculating on prospects is one the most enjoyable aspects of this hobby but it's by no means EZ? Yes Bullington is ranked below the others per the "expert" opinions BUT that doesn't necessarily mean he won't have a better career than some (all?) of them. The "experts" miss many more than they hit. Another beautiful thing about this hobby is that everyone sees (even the established players) differently. I think it's a mistake to impose your belief's on player rankings to another owner. As with all the other choices, let them build their own dynasties how they see fit.

NOTE the following is all assumptive and I apologize if it's indeed offtrack: Reading between the lines, my guess is a few top teams are frustrated that they can't swindle these owners out of some of their better assets and the percieved "lack of friendliness" could simply be that they're tired of these mercenary attempts. Also, some folks are busier than others or they may simply be tiring of the "obviously superior" takes the top teams interject on their "obviously incompetent" managerial decisions? So why not boot em and just steal their assets?? JMHO but I think you might be worried about the wrong owners here.
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 223)

Postby WeaponsMasProduction » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:45 pm

yeah how could you possibly boot players that are active just because they dont want to trade with you. a guy in my league has only made 7 moves all year to fill in for injuries and hes in third with a very legit shot at winning it all.
WeaponsMasProduction
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LCBOY » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:10 pm

Have you tried to talk to them. I'm a 5X5 roto league and in 9th place. I have no shot to win but I am still trying. I'm second in the league in moves, picking up the "flavor of the moment", from time to time, I just picked up Newhan. But some people lose interest when they are way behind...
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:34 pm

Lack of roster moves is certainly not grounds to kick anyone out. If they are still fielding a team, then they are active.

I've got a league with a total of one roster move and I'm sitting in first place. Amazing what a good draft and avoiding injuries can do. In my dynasty league I've only got 6 moves all year and am currently in 3rd. If my 5th and 6th starters were more solid, I'd have zero moves in that league.

I definitely wouldn't use a lack of roster moves as the reason for booting anyone.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Chopper » Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Quite true about the moves.
I'm first in a roto league with my 38 moves. But the guy in third has a very legitimate shot and has made zero moves. It kills me that he's so incredibly patient, but its really paying off with guys like Teixeira and Vidro....one of these days he's going to have to cut the cord on Brett Myers, though.
Blessed are the cheesemakers.
Chopper
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jojo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:16 am

Give them a break...?

some owners are just so silly minded they wont do any trades unless its a jack wilson for miguel tejada type of deal where its clearly lopsided... and I mean clearly lopsided. If you try to ship 'em someone like Chipper for Higginson they just wont do it. You get the picture.

Face it, some people are just stingy dumb and doesnt know a good trade when they're offered one. They shouldnt be allowed to play fantasy games. They are probably the type who would never get married cuz they dont know how to share. These people probably shouldnt be in your league. I wouldnt blame ya if you boot 'em.
Got Johan?
jojo
College Coach
College Coach

re

Postby ny69mets86 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:03 am

People are overlooking the simplest issue..... I stressed a major emphasis on community and these three place little value on that.... seems like a no brainer they should be chucked AFTER the season
ny69mets86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:35 am

jojo wrote:Give them a break...?

some owners are just so silly minded they wont do any trades unless its a jack wilson for miguel tejada type of deal where its clearly lopsided... and I mean clearly lopsided. If you try to ship 'em someone like Chipper for Higginson they just wont do it. You get the picture.

Face it, some people are just stingy dumb and doesnt know a good trade when they're offered one. They shouldnt be allowed to play fantasy games. They are probably the type who would never get married cuz they dont know how to share. These people probably shouldnt be in your league. I wouldnt blame ya if you boot 'em.

So you want to toss someone because they won't make a deal that you think is lopsided?? Some people don't like to deal.

Whatever is decided with these people needs to be done for the right reasons. Don't get rid of them because you have a quota of 40 trades a year and they won't help you meet your number. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers