Wily Mo Pena - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wily Mo Pena

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:56 am

hybrid wrote:If he didn't sign a major league contract, Pena would be better right now as he would of been able to play in the minors more and you all would of heard a lot about him too. He basically would of been a big time/elite prospect that everyone would be waiting for. Instead he HAS to be on the majors, where until now due to injuries he gets barely any playing time.

If your talking about potential, Pena has more then Guillen. Pena's power can rival anyones in the majors right now, it's just a matter of him getting playing time and learning the strike zone.

I dont know which side is to blame for the major league contract and no/little minor league seasoning, but I hat when players do that.

For every Adrian Beltre that comes straight up as its obvious that any level they play at to get their learning curves will eventually lead to a breakout on account of their immense, there is a talent wasted like Todd Van Poppel who could have used the minor league experience.

I wish the best for him, but wht didnt he recieve minor league seasoning?
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:21 pm

Spokes wrote:
hybrid wrote:Actually, he was traded to the Reds in the Drew Henson deal that also involved M. Coleman (basically a nobody).

Yes, I know, I just wanted to mention that Wily Mo was in that deal. Wily Mo, Drew Henson and someone else for Denny Neagle. Hey, how did that work out????

Your just a tad off, but it isn't hard to be considering what happened in those deals.

The first deal involved Neagle and Henson. Yanks got Neagle and they traded away Henson to the Reds.

The second deal, about a year later, traded Henson back to the Yanks in exchange for Pena.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby hybrid » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:24 pm

Bukoski77 wrote:I dont know which side is to blame for the major league contract and no/little minor league seasoning, but I hat when players do that.

For every Adrian Beltre that comes straight up as its obvious that any level they play at to get their learning curves will eventually lead to a breakout on account of their immense, there is a talent wasted like Todd Van Poppel who could have used the minor league experience.

I wish the best for him, but wht didnt he recieve minor league seasoning?

You can probably blame both sides on this one. The Yanks wanted him a lot as they knew his potential, so they were going to do most anything for him. The Mets tried to get him right before the Yanks, I forget the details of it, but the contract was voided for some reason (don't feel like looking it up). Pena was also just 17 when he signed it and most likely didn't know any better.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby NZF » Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:57 pm

He certainly knows how to get the job done with runners in scoring position. Batting close to .400 in those situations and just over .200 with no one on.

The last month, his 8 HR's have resulted in 19 RBI's.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BobbyRoberto » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:06 am

Baseball Prospectus' PECOTA system had Wily Mo Pena's 50th percentile projection at:

310 ab, 18 hr, 5 sb, .265/.337/.499, .836 OPS

Right now, his numbers are:

173 ab, 12 hr, 3 sb, .289/.335/.532, .867 OPS

My biggest concern is his playing time when Austin Kearns comes back from his injury (if that ever happens--I've had Kearns all year).
Roger Angell: I was talking with Bob Gibson and I said: 'Are you always this competitive?' He said: 'Oh, I think so. I got a three-year old daughter, and I've played about 500 games of tic-tac-toe with her and she hasn't beat me yet.'
BobbyRoberto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicCafe Writer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers